Switching direction of 4PDT

fbuggy

Hi all,
I just ordered all the parts for the Twin Face, and decided to try my hand at Tayda's UV printing. I only just realized that I switched the labels for the toggle switch on my print!

Flux.png

Germanium should be on the bottom, and silicon should be on top. Tayda is very specific in their UV printing, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to submit a corrected file for them in time. I was wondering if there was a way to electrically switch the direction of the 4PDT toggle switch so that the labels match up with the actual circuit. Any help would be appreciated!

The only way I could see this working is to do off-board wiring for the switch, reversing the order of the switch pins (and likely also off-board wiring the pots as well, so that you'll have room to run the wires under the board)

Someone with more experience can hopefully chime in, but that's how I'd do it.

(Cool art, btw!)

Use NPN germanium cans in place of the silicon ones, and PNP silicon cans in place of the germanium ones?
This was my initial thought. However, I'm not sure if I'm reading the schematic correctly. To me it looks like the left two sections are for the separate fuzzes, the top is Ge PNP and bottom is Si NPN. As far as I can tell, all the components and circuitry is the exact same besides the transistors themselves, so I think just switching the transistors would work. But I'm not exactly sure if that's correct, and there may be some other factors that make their circuits different. Would it still end up being the same fuzz for both circuits?
1694241889947.png

Off boarding the switch is the way.

You could swap the transistors but it needs a lot more than just that, you’d need to swap the polarity of the components in the circuits as well. Maybe more. Look at the schematics, -9V vs +9V.

The electrons are going to be unhappy if you just swap transistors.

Off boarding the switch is the way.

You could swap the transistors but it needs a lot more than just that, you’d need to swap the polarity of the components in the circuits as well. Maybe more. Look at the schematics, -9V vs +9V.

The electrons are going to be unhappy if you just swap transistors.
Hence switching the type of transistors. Don’t have to swap the polarity of the caps and deal with the two different power polarities if you use NPN germanium and PNP silicon. Then it would be a direct swap

Hence switching the type of transistors. Don’t have to swap the polarity of the caps and deal with the two different power polarities if you use NPN germanium and PNP silicon. Then it would be a direct swap
Yeah, you’re spot on. I was distracted looking after the kids and misinterpreted the reply 🫠

I see now. Maybe for now I'll just roll with it since it's such a small thing. I'll socket the transistors so I can switch later on if I'd like. My only last question is if germanium NPN sounds different from germanium PNP, and if silicon PNP sounds different from silicon NPN. I'm not very familiar with transistors, and I'm curious how it would change the sound.

Otherwise, thank you all so much for the replies!

Back