THAT4301 Substitute?

twebb6778

I'm currently building a Muzzle with SMD THAT4301, and plan to build more in the future. It's a wicked circuit!

That being said (no pun intended), the THAT4301, particularly in an SMD package, seems to getting harder to find and prices are starting to become silly. In Australia it'll cost close to $40 for a single IC.

With these being discontinued, is there a suitable pin for pin replacement available? Maybe the 4305? Failing that, is there something else I can frankenstein onto my builds?

Seems you never got an answer on this topic. I have the same question. According to what I can find the 4305 is the replacement, but I don't know enough (or understand enough) about IC to actually confirm if it would would in the Muzzle circuite.

Thanks for the info, so we are in a jam, 4301 can't be replaced and seems almost impossible to procure from trusted source.

Anyone knows of trusted vendors that sill carry some ?

I ended up rolling the dice and buying one from aliexpress that someone else on here mentioned having success with.

Hasn't arrived yet but I'll update once it comes. From memory the 4305 needs a few more external components (2 op amps I think?) but will do the job. An adapter board or new Muzzle to accommodate the 4305 would also be amazing, but I understand you're busy so no sweat.

I ended up rolling the dice and buying one from aliexpress that someone else on here mentioned having success with.

Hasn't arrived yet but I'll update once it comes. From memory the 4305 needs a few more external components (2 op amps I think?) but will do the job. An adapter board or new Muzzle to accommodate the 4305 would also be amazing, but I understand you're busy so no sweat.
Any update on this? I realize it might still be traveling halfway around the world to get to you, but I'm curious what you've found. Otherwise, PCBs like the Muzzle are a bit useless until there's a solution :-(

Any update on this? I realize it might still be traveling halfway around the world to get to you, but I'm curious what you've found. Otherwise, PCBs like the Muzzle are a bit useless until there's a solution :-(
It worked! No problems at all, it's a nice surprise. I got this one if you're interested:

The Muzzle will never leave my board. I'm happy to see "alternative" seems to works so more people can enjoy that one.

I have some THAT4301 DIPs which have been in my drawers for years. I got them direct from THAT Corp, what are these (reasonably) worth now?

I also have a few left of these transistor arrays (and other ICs) which I purchased at about the same time: 300P, 320P, 340P.

Here are some images below:

Attachments

• 4301.jpg
    4301.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 380.jpg
    380.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
There's also Small Bear / Synthcube

The 4305 works great but requires BJT opamps. You cannot use jfet opamps, like TL072. The chiclet linked above and also available at pedalpcb work fine. They use NJM8080 or NJM8068 opamps. This link describes the difference between them.

I've made a custom PCB for the muzzle using the SMT components and it works great. The goal of this was to make it as compact as possible for a combo pedal that will be the core of my pedal board (Muzzle, Mini-spark, Prince of Tone, AMT LA2 M2 and C2).
1707763363349.png

This is what the combo pedal looks like... Muzzle is upper right. Still waiting on a PCB for the channel switching in the middle.
1707763561096.png

Back