The Diplomat x2

joelorigo

One for me, one for my brother in law for his birthday next month. This thing is so versatile. It's good as a tone shaper in to a clean or dirty amp, a boost into clean amp, boost into dirty amp...and I haven't yet had a chance to try it as a preamp. I have an Orange OR15 with EL84 tubes that has an fx loop, so that will be the closest I can get to the Matchless DC 30. Such fun! Thanks to @vigilante398 for making this and @Robert for hosting Sushi Box on this board. Now, should I try the Black Eye...????🤔

Attachments

• IMG_7199.jpg
    IMG_7199.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7198.jpg
    IMG_7198.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 48
Last night I got around to using it as a preamp: pedal board into the Diplomat, into the fx loop Return on the OR15 mentioned above and that was a lot of fun! It's like having a new amp. I'm going to play like this for a while I think. And I have another amp with an fx loop to try too.
Some details. None of the controls on the amp did anything which I guess is to be expected. The Diplomat still has a lot of output even as a preamp. I had the volume at about the same setting when I was using it in front of an amp. Turning it up pushed the amp into more distorting and volume obviously. Using a pedal to boost into the Diplomat was definitely a unique sound, to me anyway. I assume it's that EF86.

Back