The Mechanic - a servo-biased Ge Fuzz

jubal81

So I was fumbling around with using an opamp servo to bias JFETs and Chuck followed with a killer servo design for a Fuzz Face-style Germanium fuzz.
In short, it's the absolute BALLS. Easily among the favorite fuzz boxes I've ever built - or played, for that matter.
You can see the schematic and everything in this thread.
I named it after the 1972 Charles Bronson movie where he's a "sophisticated" mob hit man who smokes a pipe and drinks expensive scotch. I used a spear gun in the logo because they were using SCUBA to gear to reach a target on a yacht, but on rewatch it turns out it was shotguns they'd taken with them. No regrets. Spear gun looks cooler anyway, IMHO.

Mechanic-top.png

Mechanic-guts.png

Last edited:
Great movie! Great looking pedal!

I was on the fence with this one, but that endorsement is enough for me sir! Added!

Build the breadboard! It's easy and you can see for yourself WTF (what the fuzz) is all about.

I rewatched the movie from when they arrived in Naples, looked for the spear guns and never saw them. But like you said, it's still a cool logo.

Nice build, Jason. Those tiny pix don't do it justice.

Build the breadboard! It's easy and you can see for yourself WTF (what the fuzz) is all about.

I rewatched the movie from when they arrived in Naples, looked for the spear guns and never saw them. But like you said, it's still a cool logo.

Nice build, Jason. Those tiny pix don't do it justice.
Thanks, bud. I didn't realize the pics weren't clickable til you said something, so I got some bigger versions.

Reactions: fig
The first 15 minutes of no dialog, just plotting and executing a murder that looked to all the world like an accidental gas explosion. That was epic. And then there was the motorcycle chase thru the garden party. That was a hilarious!

Back