The reason why I don’t sell any OD’s

JamieJ

I was trying out some of my overdrives I had built a while ago. My duocast has developed a ground hum which I need to look at, the Mach 1 just didn’t seem to pair well with my current amp and the dumbloid clone just wasn’t doing it for me at all.

Then I tried my zendrive clone with the guitar volume on 5 and oh what a sound. I was so close to either giving away the pedal to a friend or selling it. I’m now glad I didn’t as I can see it being on my board for a while.

Have you had any changes of heart with a pedal?

I was trying out some of my overdrives I had built a while ago. My duocast has developed a ground hum which I need to look at, the Mach 1 just didn’t seem to pair well with my current amp and the dumbloid clone just wasn’t doing it for me at all.

Then I tried my zendrive clone with the guitar volume on 5 and oh what a sound. I was so close to either giving away the pedal to a friend or selling it. I’m now glad I didn’t as I can see it being on my board for a while.

Yes, and I’ve rebuilt them all.

Yes, especially when I decided a few years back to go with digital replacements for my non-gain stages. I was able to tune in many of my pedals surprisingly close, when listened to back to back, with their Source Audio counterparts. And I liked that my board was smaller.

But, the magic was often not there—iI wasn’t getting lost in playing nearly as often. The old effects, which I kept thinking about selling, each sounded more right to me after not hearing them for awhile.

I’ve had that happen with gain stages too, especially after getting a different guitar or amp, which is sort of to be expected. A boost I had high expectations for, that never gelled, and all of a sudden, you retry it with a different amp, and it all makes sense.

Oh, now and then.

Only once or twice a day.

Yeah, changing the guitar, amp, speaker or pickups will turn trash into gold (or vice versa).

I'm constantly cycling through pedals, and the ones I regret selling are usually overdrives because I used them in the wrong setup.

I have no qualms about selling pedals I have made because I can just build another. But I take your point. The Zendrive is an interesting example. With most of my guitars it's just another muddy, overly midrangey OD. With a Fender though it can be just what you want.

Whenever I get a new guitar all the old ODs come out to see if there's a killer combo there!

My Zen hasn't seen a lot of action since I built it was one my first 5 builds. But since building the Grover Drive (which essentially s si FF into a Zen at 50% gain) I love it so much I denied to start experimenting with different fuzzes into the Zen. The trick Is to keep the fuzz volume low and just let it 'color" the Zen before playing ratios and eq. So far the two front runners as pairs is my Trianle Big Muff into the Zen or the (ironically) BufggFX Raincoat into the Zen.

I feel like my OD journey has taken me for a crazy ride over the last two years. For the most part the OD’s I have moved on from never really make it back on my board. I’ve tried, but as my playing improves and my ability to play ways I never could before it seems my OD preference changes too. An exception is the Paragon build. I built that as one of my first few builds and didn’t like it at all. 2 years ago I was still power cord grunge minded, Sold it on reverb. Since then, learning so much more about playing guitar, now one of my favorite sounds is the blues breaker side of the Pro-10. I kick myself for selling that KOT clone because I probably would have loved it now that I have moved away from the power chord world and have a more diverse playing ability. But live and learn. My current favorite drives: mojito, chop shop, pro10, parentheses, black eye.

I've given several pedals away and then rebuilt them. Usually, they sound the same. However, there's been a couple that don't quite sound as good as the ones I gave away.

I've built mostly overdrives, so I have about 25 of them. Some I like a lot, others I kind of want to keep "just in case".

I gave some away, but for many of them ended up building for myself again.

One I recently parted with was a 250 and I knew even before I did I would be rebuilding it. Now I've got both a White Light and jimilee's Gray Channel PCBs waiting to be built.

I gave away a Zendrive, but didn't feel the need to build it again because to me it never stood out compared to other TS like pedals. You all are making me wonder what I was missing.

Last edited:
Back