This Week on the Breadboard: Gator's OD - cb mod

At the risk of sounding like a complete suck ass...
You are awesome Dave!!!
Thank you for taking interest in my original moded circuit and taking it to a new level!
The thing I noticed about overdrives and distortions is that high gain circuits tend to sound like crap at low gain settings. Low gain circuits usually only do just that, and usually only soft clipping.
Being able to blend and go from super light to heavy gain is fun and useful for several genres of music. All in one circuit. Now, with plenty of tone shaping on tap!
I'm going to breadboard it this weekend. I just started playing with a group of old friends so I might just take it to band practice as a breadboard...lol

Thank you!
~Gator

Last edited:
CDB, I noticed the last two iterations of the schematic were both labeled "Gator OD cb mod v3.0.png"
Maybe the one with rewired presence pot in Post #23 can be v3.1?

The Gator, I like the idea of going 1590BB2 — then you can add one more knob* and stomper to make it a combo pedal.

*One-knob boost/Fuzz/Phaser/whatever

Cool stuff, I've put all this info in my Boneyard folder, so as not to be confused with the PAIA Gator in the PAIA folder. ;)

Latest rev. Gator is contemplating further changes, but this is where I am today. The LM386 is gone; we're back to a dual opamp. Tone controls redone. The LM386 loaded the MID network too much and didn't do anything special for the tone. The MID control is cut only, centered at about 700Hz. The TREBLE control is a shelving filter, like the BD-2 TONE control. It cuts treble above 1KHz. The PRESENCE control is a variable-freq low-pass filter. At zero, it cuts off at 500Hz. At 10, it cuts off at 9KHz. With DRIVE below 5 (noon), the 2nd stage does not clip. Somewhere above noon, depending on the GAIN setting and guitar volume, the 2nd stage starts clipping.

Gator OD cb mod v0.5.2.png

Knobs (L-R): VOLUME - PRESENCE - MID - TREBLE - DRIVE - BASS - GAIN. I tried 5 different dual opamps: TL072, LM833 (installed), NE5532, CA3240, NJM4558.
TL072 sounds good, good output volume, fairly symmetric clipping.
LM833 sounds good, slightly higher output volume, nearly symmetric clipping.
CA3240 and NE5532 do not work well in this circuit. Very asymmetric clipping.
NJM4558 sounds good, good output volume, fairly symmetric clipping.
I used IR LEDs for the soft clipping.

Gator OD v0.5.1 breadboard 02.jpg

Back