Tis the Season for Mystery Meat...

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Everyone else has been posting their awesome Mystery Meat builds, so I figured it was time I got mine together. I would have had it done sooner, but there was an unfortunate gap in my supply of potentiometers (DOH!). This one is an interesting pedal, and I'm still trying to get my arms wrapped around where this one is going to shine, but first the build!

PedalPCB - Mystery Meat - Bronto Burger - 01.jpg

For the build, I used all Yageo 1% 1/4 watt resistors. Most of the film capacitors (including the big honkin' 4.7uF film capacitor) are WIMA, but there are a couple of KEMET ones thrown in for some of the odd values where Mouser was out of stock of the WIMA versions. Tolerance on all of the film capacitors is 5%. The electrolytic capacitors are all Nichicon. There are two 1N34A diodes which I'd picked up a while back from Pedalhacker, as well as one 1N270 and one 1N4148. The full building documentation and schematic aren't available yet, and I haven't sat down to try and trace how the diode clipping is working at this point. The op amps are all new TL072IP from Mouser with sockets.

PedalPCB - Mystery Meat - Bronto Burger - 02.jpg

For the offboard wiring, I decided to go the same route as I'd gone with my Kliche mini build, and just use the extra ground connections from the board rather than using the AionFX standard star ground to the input jack. It does make wiring up the pedal more straightforward and looks a bit neater in the enclosure as well. I'm using a 24 gauge ribbon cable to connect the 3PDT daughter board to the main PCB. I had just enough room to run the board connection underneath - emphasis on "just enough."

PedalPCB - Mystery Meat - Bronto Burger - 03.jpg

I'd teased the "in progress" enclosure art for this built previously, but nothing quite compares to having the final product in your hands. Steggo Studios unofficial tagline is "Because who doesn't like dinosaurs," and I decided to change that ever so slightly for this particular enclosure. I think I like the yellow knobs on this, but I'm still a little undecided. Let me know what you guys think in your responses!

I need to get a sound demo going for this one, but as far as I can tell so far, it's behaving like the ones on the various Youtube demos out there. I'd hoped to compare it to "the real thing" at my favorite local guitar store, but they'd just sold out of the Horsemeat pedal, so now I have to wait for another one to come in to do the paired test.

In terms of the rating - I gave this one five stars. It's an extremely straightforward build. The board is well laid out, and there is plenty of room for all of the components. Boxing it up was also a breeze.

A bit more (mostly preamble) at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2022/12/mystery-meat-cloning-new-prs-horsemeat.html

Very clean build and cool artwork as usual! I have struggled ordering caps on Mouser in the past. What’s your approach?

Very clean build and cool artwork as usual! I have struggled ordering caps on Mouser in the past. What’s your approach?
I've got sort of a database of parts and part numbers from old AionFX and Tone Geek BOMs that I start with. If something is out of stock, I use their checkbox menu to find something equivalent - starting with value, lead spacing, and tolerance. Then when it narrows things down to <20 or so, I can pick the voltage and what not from the other menus it will send you to.

1671735042258.png

Does it have sonically any difference if 4,7uF is electrolytic or giant poly. Is this the one that is paper in oil in the original?

Does it have sonically any difference if 4,7uF is electrolytic or giant poly. Is this the one that is paper in oil in the original?
Haven't seen the guts of the original, maybe Robert can chime in. As to the tonal difference that's probably going to depend on who you talk to as opinions vary. The BOM called for "film (or electrolytic)" - so I interpreted that as film was preferred - but the board handles either without issues.

Build looks great. This one I had to kind of warm up to but I’m a big fan now. I ended up using a non polarized electrolytic from stompboxparts for the 4u7.

Back