Tommy III volume mod

TSReppe

Weird question perhaps, but I feel like this pedal has a bit to much volume and it's hard to find the sweetspot. Should I change the pot to a lower value or R5 to a higher value?

I think you could remove R5 altogether and that should help. The pot is audio taper, which is usually good for volume pots, and the 18k counteracts that somewhat making it behave more like linear pot. Clip it out, and should be easier to dial in at lower volumes, without affecting max output. Older versions of the Timmy didn’t have a resistor there, apparently over time PaulC just decided he liked the taper a little better with it in.

you could also jumper R6, which will reduce the overall output. That op amp stage acts as a boost, jumpering R6 will make it a unity gain buffer.

I think you could remove R5 altogether and that should help. The pot is audio taper, which is usually good for volume pots, and the 18k counteracts that somewhat making it behave more like linear pot. Clip it out, and should be easier to dial in at lower volumes, without affecting max output. Older versions of the Timmy didn’t have a resistor there, apparently over time PaulC just decided he liked the taper a little better with it in.

you could also jumper R6, which will reduce the overall output. That op amp stage acts as a boost, jumpering R6 will make it a unity gain buffer.
Cheers man!

Seems like removing R5 is the way to go. At least I’ll try that first. If I’m still not happy I‘ll jumper R6.

Back