Topographer

Mentaltossflycoon

I have no experience with the IVP. Not an Albini super fan or anything just thought it sounded interesting. I was quite correct, it's very interesting. It doesn't sound like anything else I've ever plugged into. As the internet indicated t's a fantastic stacking dirt and it has enough low end to please me on bass while being almost more tasty on guitar. I probably need a percolator now.

I've been planning a headphone practice rig for some time and was mostly considering this for the bass preamp section but I like it too much to commit it to that. It earned itself its own pretty little box. A continuation of my 70s psychology textbook aesthetic only on clear vinyl this time. Annoyingly the silver knobs I bought for this didn't fit on the pots so this was the best I had for now. The dent in that knob bothers me too... I know.

Screenshot_20220610-164031_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220610-164051_Gallery.jpg

I love the aesthetic on this one. Cool artwork and color scheme. And nice LED bezel and stomp nut dressing. I'd be proud of this one. (Looks way better than most of my stuff.)

I LOVE the idea of a "70s psychology textbook aesthetic"! Ha! Brilliant.

Do you think the transformer has much effect in this circuit?

Yes. Amp-in-box pedals are often nothing more than OD’s with 18v of headroom. The transformer gives the pedal more of an amp feel. I have actually been using my Topographer build as my Foundation pedal; it sits at the very end of my chain, acting as my main preamp color, more or less, before running into a pretty flat eq’d amp. I have built and run several pedals this way, and the ones with transformers always feel natural…

Back