Transcendence Boost

giovanni

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
First build report after a long hiatus! I was definitely getting rusty and had some trouble with this one (https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/burned-charge-pump.17734/). This is not actually my first build since hiatus (Son of Ben report coming up after I laser engrave the faceplate), but the first one I consider fully finished since I’m going with no graphics on a single knobber.

The build was mostly uneventful except my silly mistakes described in the troubleshooting thread that I attribute mostly to impatience. I went with a 1590B which was still a pretty tight fit even with the small board and single pot. I had to bend the pot leads to make enough room for my oversized 220uF cap. But I was able to use regular jacks because I removed the dust seal from the pot to make a bit more room. Once again copious thanks to @flemming for sending me a sweet drill template to make everything fit nicely. I could not have done it without.

IMG_2428.jpeg

For the enclosure I went with Tayda’s silver. I used an old large aluminum knob I found in my office which gives it a hi-fi vibe. I’m pretty happy with the looks!

IMG_2422.jpeg
IMG_2421.jpeg

I spent some time playing it tonight and it sounds really nice. It’s a simple clean boost with tons of gain (24dB!) and headroom. It’s quiet as a mouse and it feels very high fidelity. It must be the extra moolah I spent on that OPA2134… I couldn’t quite tell if it adds some color to the tone or not, I may need a bit more time with it to figure that out. It may be that the buffer in the pedal alone preserves more high frequencies (I had a few more pedals after it).

Anyways, boosting a tube amp on the edge of breakup with a clean boost is definitely a really nice sound. Highly recommended if you’re looking for that.

When I made the template the intent was to use the smaller Lumberg jacks. I'm shocked that you are able to squeeze in the standard open ones. I'm glad it has been working out for you!

When I made the template the intent was to use the smaller Lumberg jacks. I'm shocked that you are able to squeeze in the standard open ones. I'm glad it has been working out for you!
This is my second time doing so successfully! I did get some Lumbergs for the more crowded boards though.

Back