Trinity custom plexi

I think I might have bought the last triptop. It disappeared from the shop soon after I ordered mine almost a year ago. Sorry but really really really not sorry. I finally unboxed it the other day. Then I had a tiny panic attack and set it aside to watch more youtube videos of people building amps. Building pedals is safe. Building guitars is expensive when you screw up. Building amps is expensive AND dangerous if you screw up.
I'm totally happy it went to you, I couldn't afford it at the time and if you do a build thread I can live vicariously.

Take your time. I managed to build two tube amps thus far and I'm still kicking; and it still freaks me out!
Mind, I had good guidance — if I build one now, no one will be looking over my shoulder, my mentor is on the other side of the Pacific.
He did give me the confidence to try to build some more on my own.

My advice: keep one hand in your pocket; and in your other hand a wooden/bamboo chopstick to probe around inside your build (and if you're good at using chopsticks certainly have two, good for picking up dropped stuff inside the chassis).

That one hand in pocket thing is good to try to do even before you get to the truly dangerous part (the first time you plug it in), get into the one-hand-in-pocket habit long before that point.

To paraphrase:

maxresdefault.jpg

"You will never find a more satisfying build of wires and soldery; we must be cautious."

Last edited:
One hand in the pocket and stand up too if you can while doing doing your testing that way if anything does happen you should get flung clear. Hopefully.
No need to worry too much about having a mentor. Stephen at Trinity is always super quick to reply to emails and is always at the end of the phone too.
I called him a few times with questions and he answered right away. His knowledge is amazing.

Phil's got the right idea with the working safety. There's no voltage in those capacitors if it hasn't been powered up yet. When in doubt, check with your meter. You do know which ones are the capacitors, right? Make your own snuffer stick, drain the caps and check. Don't leave the amp plugged in while working. Stand up while working- no necklaces, long hair tied up, etc so nothing is dangling, including wearing pants and a shirt. One hand behind your back while checking live voltages. Use the grabbers on your meter and clip the leads on before powering the amp on, leave the black lead on a ground connection and just move the red lead with one hand. It's not that bad

I built the Trinity Triwatt several years ago, starting to accumulate a decent number of hours on the amp, including a few gigs. I really like it! It was my first tube amp build, made it through without harming myself. Someone had previously posted a ton of very detailed pics of his Triwatt build on Trinity’s forum, I found that incredibly helpful.

In terms of build safety, I realized you can do quite a bit of useful testing with the amp powered off and checking connections against the schematic with multimeter. It forces you to walk through the signal path and power supply. You may find shorts or open connections.

I also made copies of the layout diagram, and went through with a highlighter, marking off each component/connection as I checked it. At least for me, I felt the only real risk was my impatience, wanting to rock it before it had been fully checked!

You do know which ones are the capacitors, right?
Lol, never heard the term. Cap-ac--i-tor... what on EARTH is that??

I am planning to do most of that. It's highly likely to get built 100% shirt free but I'm not fancy enough for jewelry so the only thing dangling will be beard hair. I have a tall customized workbench and am borrowing a friend's amp stand and snuffer stick. Trying to do it right.

Never heard the term "Snuffer Stick" prior to this thread. Funny how something like that can slip through the cracks of all my interweb research on amps, and previous amp conversations with people, and even previous conversations in this very forum... until this thread.

From the context, I figured out what it is, but still felt a need to look it up; (*TGP alert! I very rarely visit the site, only when a friend sends me there to look at something specific, but nonetheless, TGP came up first in my search for "Snuffer Stick" ):

A few bucks in parts 👆 or $20+up👇

https://www.tedweber.com/snufferstick/ $20
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...ls/snufferstick-high-voltage-discharge-stick/ $33/$40
https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-SnufferStick-Voltage-Discharge/dp/B07HPCMFNV $45

Nothing from Amplified Parts and have yet to check places like Ceriatone or Mojotone and other Amp-kit Suppliers...

Never heard the term "Snuffer Stick" prior to this thread. Funny how something like that can slip through the cracks of all my interweb research on amps, and previous amp conversations with people, and even previous conversations in this very forum... until this thread.

From the context, I figured out what it is, but still felt a need to look it up; (*TGP alert! I very rarely visit the site, only when a friend sends me there to look at something specific, but nonetheless, TGP came up first in my search for "Snuffer Stick" ):

A few bucks in parts 👆 or $20+up👇

https://www.tedweber.com/snufferstick/ $20
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...ls/snufferstick-high-voltage-discharge-stick/ $33/$40
https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-SnufferStick-Voltage-Discharge/dp/B07HPCMFNV $45

Nothing from Amplified Parts and have yet to check places like Ceriatone or Mojotone and other Amp-kit Suppliers...
But how does the Golden age sound when compared to the stewmac?

I don't know, I think the Stu-muck Snuff Sticker has more headroom.

I don't care — I'm not gettin' whatever SM stick Fix-m-Dano Earlywhine is using 'cause I found this one, a proper Snuffer Stick, looks like it can handle any size amp I'd want to build (look at the size of this amp's caps!):

electrician-engineer-uses-discharge-stick-to-earth-grounding-tra-impose-connection-reducing-power-transformer-using-equipment-71018589.jpg

Snuffer in a lovely yellow, too, but...

Why the rubber glove only on the right hand? What's he hiding, did he only wash his left hand after... and how do you only wash one hand?
Is that the same hand that goes behind his back when working on that monster amp or is it the rubber-gloved hand that goes in pocket?

Most of all, why so serious, blueman? I guess with caps that size you've gotta have the same size huevos to handle an amp that big, very serious business indeed.
Must be the same amp Marty used...

CysLSYqVEAAH65O.jpg

Back