Trinity custom plexi

Phil hodson

So….. a bit of a long story for this one.
I started building pedals a couple of years ago as a bit of a hobby like most of you I guess. I had started playing guitar again after some time off. And when the world fell apart in 2020 I had a lot more time to practice etc but my pedal building also got more active.
I didn't have an amp anymore as I had leant my old one to a family member and haven’t seen it since! Always a good excuse to buying a new one. As I needed one to test my pedals in right!?
This started me down a rabbit hole as bad, if not worse than pedal building!
Going from buying a small practice amp I soon decided I would like to build one! So after a lot of hunting around I found some really good reports about Trinity Amps. And being based In Canada that could save on some hefty import duty! Stephen at Trinity was amazing to talk to and very helpful and knowledgeable. I said I wasn’t quite ready to start one as I didn't think my skills were anywhere close enough to build an amp! I mean I had done some fuzz pedals but nothing like this.
He then told me at the beginning of this year that transformers were becoming harder and harder to get hold of. So next thing I knew I purchased one of his last kits he had left!
It was shipped and then I spent a lot of time sitting there staring at the parts! Eventually, quite some time ago I decided to start!
I instantly hit a problem as the supplied transformers were not the ones in the diagrams but Stephen provided expert over the phone/email and documents to help me through. Not the best start I thought.
I finally managed to get both the Power and Output transformers in place and wired to the various parts and then managed to get the heater wires and tube sockets in. Now was the first moment of truth. I plugged it in for the first time! And not only did I not blow myself up it actually worked and gave the correct voltages where required!
So then the next step was the turret board. I sat on this for a while too but decided no matter how long I look at it, it wont build itself. It went together with no issues. And im very happy with the way it turned out. I triple checked all the values and then set about the rest of the wiring.
Eventually I was all set and ready to power it up and run through all the start up checks. Ticking off each one as I went. Using a mixture of the manual and an excellent YouTube channel I found of a guy building the same amp, I got to a position where I could put the tubes in.
Being careful of the massive voltages and my huge gaps of my missing knowledge I moved forward step by step and eventually before I knew it I had my guitar plugged in and ready to rock!
Wow this this is loud! And it worked first time! I was complete bowled over. I never thought I would be able to build something like this and have it working. Especially first time. Although I did have an issue with the normal channel, but I think thats just the way I wired it, and once I had re-done it, it worked perfectly too! Only a 5 minute repair!
The clean Is so clean and crisp and the TMB crunch is fantastic! What a beast. With no pedals in it its sounds just like I wanted and more.
Now to keep me from getting divorced I have a VRM to install once I have played around with it a bit more and also have an effects loop I may put in too. But for now back to more playing and playing and playing.
I couldn’t me more happier. Stephen and more helped me through this build. The quality of parts and instruction are second to none.
I went with greenbacks for the speakers and JJ tubes throughout.
Feel free to ask any questions if you have any. And now for the glorious gut shots!

Attachments

• E1879FAB-AB44-4E3F-9003-86595390E681.jpeg
    E1879FAB-AB44-4E3F-9003-86595390E681.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 187CEBEC-554A-40BC-909E-12CE7D62CE16.jpeg
    187CEBEC-554A-40BC-909E-12CE7D62CE16.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 9A8DEE9A-DC9C-4035-A35B-86420C7EA069.jpeg
    9A8DEE9A-DC9C-4035-A35B-86420C7EA069.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 6E535DC5-D3C0-4773-ABDF-D8EB9B9A4897.jpeg
    6E535DC5-D3C0-4773-ABDF-D8EB9B9A4897.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • BE916186-C283-4DA0-A34A-69E1BD7D3445.jpeg
    BE916186-C283-4DA0-A34A-69E1BD7D3445.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 98B017CE-9FB2-4240-BFFB-1AF53B11EABA.jpeg
    98B017CE-9FB2-4240-BFFB-1AF53B11EABA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 9BFF7C04-7F90-42A0-924F-656A3FE9AA8D.jpeg
    9BFF7C04-7F90-42A0-924F-656A3FE9AA8D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 9C04E0B2-0091-49A6-9049-CAF7C75A8728.jpeg
    9C04E0B2-0091-49A6-9049-CAF7C75A8728.jpeg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 25
So….. a bit of a long story for this one.
I started building pedals a couple of years ago as a bit of a hobby like most of you I guess. I had started playing guitar again after some time off. And when the world fell apart in 2020 I had a lot more time to practice etc but my pedal building also got more active.
I didn't have an amp anymore as I had leant my old one to a family member and haven’t seen it since! Always a good excuse to buying a new one. As I needed one to test my pedals in right!?
This started me down a rabbit hole as bad, if not worse than pedal building!
Going from buying a small practice amp I soon decided I would like to build one! So after a lot of hunting around I found some really good reports about Trinity Amps. And being based In Canada that could save on some hefty import duty! Stephen at Trinity was amazing to talk to and very helpful and knowledgeable. I said I wasn’t quite ready to start one as I didn't think my skills were anywhere close enough to build an amp! I mean I had done some fuzz pedals but nothing like this.
He then told me at the beginning of this year that transformers were becoming harder and harder to get hold of. So next thing I knew I purchased one of his last kits he had left!
It was shipped and then I spent a lot of time sitting there staring at the parts! Eventually, quite some time ago I decided to start!
I instantly hit a problem as the supplied transformers were not the ones in the diagrams but Stephen provided expert over the phone/email and documents to help me through. Not the best start I thought.
I finally managed to get both the Power and Output transformers in place and wired to the various parts and then managed to get the heater wires and tube sockets in. Now was the first moment of truth. I plugged it in for the first time! And not only did I not blow myself up it actually worked and gave the correct voltages where required!
So then the next step was the turret board. I sat on this for a while too but decided no matter how long I look at it, it wont build itself. It went together with no issues. And im very happy with the way it turned out. I triple checked all the values and then set about the rest of the wiring.
Eventually I was all set and ready to power it up and run through all the start up checks. Ticking off each one as I went. Using a mixture of the manual and an excellent YouTube channel I found of a guy building the same amp, I got to a position where I could put the tubes in.
Being careful of the massive voltages and my huge gaps of my missing knowledge I moved forward step by step and eventually before I knew it I had my guitar plugged in and ready to rock!
Wow this this is loud! And it worked first time! I was complete bowled over. I never thought I would be able to build something like this and have it working. Especially first time. Although I did have an issue with the normal channel, but I think thats just the way I wired it, and once I had re-done it, it worked perfectly too! Only a 5 minute repair!
The clean Is so clean and crisp and the TMB crunch is fantastic! What a beast. With no pedals in it its sounds just like I wanted and more.
Now to keep me from getting divorced I have a VRM to install once I have played around with it a bit more and also have an effects loop I may put in too. But for now back to more playing and playing and playing.
I couldn’t me more happier. Stephen and more helped me through this build. The quality of parts and instruction are second to none.
I went with greenbacks for the speakers and JJ tubes throughout.
Feel free to ask any questions if you have any. And now for the glorious gut shots!
Gorgeous! Man, I'm starting to get the itch to build an amp......sigh....you guys are killing me.

So does Trinity still sell kits? I keep hearing how great his kits, documentation and after sale support is. But his website is like empty.

@Harry Klippton, Stephen tole me to play it for a while and decide which channel I want to put it in as it wont cover both. I can already feel myself playing more of the TMB channel so I think it might end up in there.
In the mean time I can Olay during the day with out annoying too many people 🤣

@Harry Klippton, Stephen tole me to play it for a while and decide which channel I want to put it in as it wont cover both. I can already feel myself playing more of the TMB channel so I think it might end up in there.
In the mean time I can Olay during the day with out annoying too many people 🤣
You just need to get a two notes captor like I just did so I can play mine silently at night 🙃

@MichaelW did you have a look at the support and documentation page of his site? Loads of info on there. If not I can mail you a copy of the manual I used.
The one I got came with the cab and head box fully built but im sure if tou want they could do any stage of completion for you.
The actual amp but is a complete kit. Everything is supplied but you have to put it all together.
Not like say headfirst amps where you have to source all the parts too. Including the chassis etc.
I wanted a kit but also wanted to « build » it myself.
If I was you, and judging by your pedals you will have no issues with one of his kits at all!! You will love it. So satisfying.

Looks fantastic! I always appreciate amp builds. Maybe one day I won’t fear high voltage, but until that time I will just admire other builds.

Excellent Phil!

So jealous you got one of the last kits.

I was living overseas while lusting after some Trinity-build-action, but as soon as I moved back home all the kits I wanted were gone!
There are a few people here who've built some Trinity stuff, makes that itch itchier so hopefully Stephen gets things doable again!

Excellent Phil!

So jealous you got one of the last kits.

I was living overseas while lusting after some Trinity-build-action, but as soon as I moved back home all the kits I wanted were gone!
There are a few people here who've built some Trinity stuff, makes that itch itchier so hopefully Stephen gets things doable again!
Weren't you working on a tweed deluxe or something though?

Sorry @Feral Feline when I was talking to Stephen I knew way off needing/capable etc of getting one but he said he was running out and had no idea when he would be getting anymore in. At that time (as now) the global supply chain was in a complete mess so I didnt want to decide say 6 months down the line that I wanted to do one. So decided to get it and build it as and when I was ready. Im so glad I did!
Don’t worry @Funnel, I was the same. I read and watched plenty of amp safety videos. Along with a decent DMM thats capable of doing 600v or more and a Snuffer stick there isn't anything else you need really.
If you watch mollerup amp works on YouTube he builds one Amin steps and gives s good I sire into it every stage of the way.

I've also been watching mollerup build that triwatt. Kind of a goof but he seems like a good dude/fairly on top of his stuff.

Yeah, das ees zo, and I brought that amp with me from HK. Still haven't built the cab for it yet.

The Trinity I wanted was the B15 clone, well okay... that's the one I wanted most out of all of them.

I think I might have bought the last triptop. It disappeared from the shop soon after I ordered mine almost a year ago. Sorry but really really really not sorry. I finally unboxed it the other day. Then I had a tiny panic attack and set it aside to watch more youtube videos of people building amps. Building pedals is safe. Building guitars is expensive when you screw up. Building amps is expensive AND dangerous if you screw up.

Last edited:
Totally agree with you @Mentaltossflycoon some of his bits i can take or leave but his overall knowledge is good and actually watching someone build the one I was building made a huge difference.
Also the Trinity forum (although kind of older) doe s help a bit too.
I totally understand how dangerous it can be. Done ever take that for granted. Ever. Take steps and always double check. Plenty of info out there about how to do it safely and how not to do it!

Back