Trumpeter (mini bone)

Kroars

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
One of my all time favorite fuzz pedals. Love the sub octave “trombone”
effect you get when the circuit is starved with the Mood knob and Range toggle. Also, very responsive to your playing. Dial the Mood knob back a bit and play softly, you’ll still get that sub octave sound. Although, pick a little harder and it breaks through. Very cool. Q1 seems to be fairly forgiving between 350-600 hfe. Q2 seems to like to be between 180-200 hfe.

I used a DPDT on/on switch to change Q2 between the stock silicon PNP transistor to a germanium transistor -which I feel is worth the trouble. The silicon transistor is nice and aggressive, cleans up ok with your guitars volume knob. The GE transistor is nice and warm. Also cleans up extremely well with your guitars volume knob. I found anything between 90-200 hfe for the GE transistor sounds great. Leakage can be anything under .130mA (150uA) works well.

Also, put the two clipping diodes on a DPDT on/off/on switch for stock two diodes, diode lift and three silicon diodes asymmetrical orientation. Tried germanium diodes asymmetrical orientation, it was quite dark. Next time I think I’ll just do an on/on with the stock setting and three asymmetrical silicon diodes. Just enough variation between the two and a bit more output with three diodes.

Straight forward build and is a ton of fun to play around with!

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0261.jpeg
    IMG_0261.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 40
The Trumpeter is the most fun that I've had with a pedal in a long time. So brassy! I really like all the options you added - I'll have to add the Moonn breakout board to my next order, very tidy.

Back