Trying out some new finishes - alcohol ink and Aluminum Black

scheffehcs

IMG_7208.jpeg
IMG_7209.jpeg
IMG_7210.jpeg
IMG_7211.jpeg

I’m not sure if I like the results all that much, but at least it’s something different.

The first one I just went wild with some alcohol inks. If you haven’t tried them, it’s pretty fun. We had them leftover from a kids activity. They work better on canvas, but it still was pretty cool on an enclosure.

The second two are a product called Aluminum Black, which is marketed mainly toward fixing up dings on black colored guns, seems like. So it is a chemical that oxidizes aluminum and creates a rust like coating. On the first one, I sanded down a pink enclosure and dipped the top in a Tupperware container with a small amount of the Aluminum Black. Then I hammered in the lettering with some stamps, which chipped away at some of the coating, the put a top coat on. The top coat really took away the grit of the rust, as you can see in the second one. This one turned out looking like something that’s been seaside for decades. Pretty cool. I don’t want to stamp it, because it will probably chip away the rust in a not so cool kinda way. I’ll have figure out another way to letter it.

Anyway, just thought I’d show y’all for some ideas or inspiration.

Back