Two Rock Mayer Preamp Pedal - Tube not heating

I just tried my first venture into a tube pedal - saw Peace Hill FX post some amazing stuff and wanting to give it a shot. I found the layout on AmpGarage for the whole amp and just cut out the preamp section of it. The first noticeable issue is that there is no sound - tube isn't heating. I checked and have 6V on the heater pins. I'm just not really sure what to check with a tube build. Pics attached. Maybe something wrong with the way I drew my layout? I'm pretty confident I followed it correctly. Note in the pics there is 1 wire from pin 1 to the mid-boost circuit missing that I have since put in.

Attachments

• IMG_3114.JPG
    IMG_3114.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3109.JPG
    IMG_3109.JPG
    887 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_3111.JPG
    IMG_3111.JPG
    613.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3112.JPG
    IMG_3112.JPG
    566.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3113.JPG
    IMG_3113.JPG
    970.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
You say you have 6V on the heater filaments, I just want to check that the 6v is between pins 4 and 9, in your diagram you only have a conection going to pin 9 there is nothing connected to pins 4&5, i.e. nothing to complete the circuit.

You say you have 6V on the heater filaments, I just want to check that the 6v is between pins 4 and 9, in your diagram you only have a conection going to pin 9 there is nothing connected to pins 4&5, i.e. nothing to complete the circuit.

Thanks for the response. I actually have the 6VDC connected to pin 4, in 4 and 5 are jumped, and then a lead from 5 to 9. Do I also need to add a ground connection from pin 9? I just tried to search around for how to connect heater filaments, looks like a confusingly large number of different ways out there for 12V, 6VAC, 6VDC, and I'm having trouble just getting a firm grasp on this. From what I can tell though you don't need the twisted wires for a 6VDC wires since there's no AC hum to cancel. Other than that I'm lost.

If I've understood you correctly 4, 5 and 9 are all connected together?

If so this is wrong, your 6v to pins 4&5 is correct.

Pin 9 will need to be connected to somewhere else, I'm guessing ground. But sometimes filament heaters come off a transformer winding with a center tap, and it's the centre tap that goes to ground.

What is the box in your diagram that's providing the HV and Heater power?

If I've understood you correctly 4, 5 and 9 are all connected together?

If so this is wrong, your 6v to pins 4&5 is correct.

Pin 9 will need to be connected to somewhere else, I'm guessing ground. But sometimes filament heaters come off a transformer winding with a center tap, and it's the centre tap that goes to ground.

What is the box in your diagram that's providing the HV and Heater power?

Oh yea I know now that it's 100% wrong lol. Yes they're all connected together. The box is a 12V to 250V(ish) power supply - with separate regulated 6V DC output for heater filaments:

Okay, it looks like you just need to disconnect pin 9 from pins 4&5 and connect pin 9 to ground, which is the solder tab next to the 6v output on the SMPS board.

Okay, it looks like you just need to disconnect pin 9 from pins 4&5 and connect pin 9 to ground, which is the solder tab next to the 6v output on the SMPS board.
Gave that a shot - Somehow threw off all my voltages? Not getting any 6V from the pad, pin 1 and 6 only reading about 50V and not responsive to the power supply trimmer. Switched it back to the wrong wiring and all the voltages are back to normal. Maybe pin 9 should connect to 6V and 4 and 5 should connect to ground?

*EDIT* - Nope same thing. It seems like if 4 and 5 aren't connected to 9 I get voltage problems. Also my socket has a center pin that's not connected to anything - Thought maybe that was something for another kind of wiring - is that something I need to connect somewhere?

Attachments

• IMG_3116 2.JPG
    IMG_3116 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Maybe post the schematic you took it from
Good call. I basically used this schematic with some minor value changes. I bubbled the part that I used.

*EDIT* no idea what happened - didn't change anything but now it seems to be working?? Maybe there was a short somewhere? We'll see after I button it all up. Thank you so much for all your help on this, and sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase.

Attachments

• Schematic.pdf
    612.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
This Mayer project is way cool.

I wouldn't have the knowledge let alone balls to attack a project like this, I've gone the easy route and got a MadBean Uber Tuber and similar, ie somebody else who's far more knowledgeable than I has already done the hard&dirty work.

That ghost problem happened to me with my 5E3 build's input jacks. After fixing some known problems with them, they still weren't working quite right. Took them out to inspect them, couldn't find fault so put them back in and voila, they worked properly.

The P2P here is beautiful to behold.

Good call. I basically used this schematic with some minor value changes. I bubbled the part that I used.

*EDIT* no idea what happened - didn't change anything but now it seems to be working?? Maybe there was a short somewhere? We'll see after I button it all up. Thank you so much for all your help on this, and sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase.
We NEED a sound clip for this! Glad it’s working!

Back