Understanding Tube Based Overdrive Pedals

I posted this in the Breakroom thread about building amps a little while ago, but this seems like another good place to bring it up: Frog Tube Preamp.

I haven't bought one yet, but it seems like a fun way to get in to playing with tubes. This one can use those Russian mini-tubes or 12ax7/a few others. It's a preamp but has an optional clipping stage as well.

I'll probably pick one up when I get through a few more of the PCBs I already have stacking up in the garage.

I posted this in the Breakroom thread about building amps a little while ago, but this seems like another good place to bring it up: Frog Tube Preamp.

I haven't bought one yet, but it seems like a fun way to get in to playing with tubes. This one can use those Russian mini-tubes or 12ax7/a few others. It's a preamp but has an optional clipping stage as well.

I'll probably pick one up when I get through a few more of the PCBs I already have stacking up in the garage.
thanks for the link to the Frogpedal pcb. Looks like a good project.
In the "here's something to tinker with" category (as opposed to a well thought out guitar pedal) I am playing around with this cheap stereo tube amp kit from ebay and it is interesting. designed for a dual pot for stereo, but you can hook pots up separately and run one channel into the other for some pretty decent distortion. the board uses a 12V AC power supply that you need to track down separately. I ordered the power supply from Amazon but also scored another from a local thrift store for a couple of dollars.

So . . . . a friend of mine builds well-powered tube pre's. He also drops them into a mini-switching amp so that he can get pre and power onto a pedal board.

His stuff is NOT starved plate. Sounds like heaven.

thanks for the link to the Frogpedal pcb. Looks like a good project.
In the "here's something to tinker with" category (as opposed to a well thought out guitar pedal) I am playing around with this cheap stereo tube amp kit from ebay and it is interesting. designed for a dual pot for stereo, but you can hook pots up separately and run one channel into the other for some pretty decent distortion. the board uses a 12V AC power supply that you need to track down separately. I ordered the power supply from Amazon but also scored another from a local thrift store for a couple of dollars.
That's pretty cool, and for $11 you can't really go wrong.

Great name for a pedal, MacGuffin, I like the dual Mini-Tube idea. That is one super-coolio lookin' pedal!

Someone on another forum used the same name for a Klon/Bluesbreaker combo pedal, looked good as well.

I've got a Tube-Pre PCB (2, actually, one is for power), based on a channel of the Triple Rectifier, as near as I can determine. Need to get all the bits together such as tube sockets etc.

Why is there always so much to do and so much to get...?

Back