Unused pedals

thedwest

I have a lot of pedals that I've bought over the years but since I've started building my own, rarely use the store bought/boutique ones. I like a lot of them but get more satisfaction from playing with the ones I've built. I'm planning on selling them at some point but figured I'd take pictures of the PCBs and components first. I know nothing about PCB design or how to even go about that but on the chance that I or someone else wanted to try to replicate them at some point, any tips on what else would be important to document or is it a waste of time unless I dig deeper into electronics knowledge? I've got about 30 or so and I'm sure plenty of them can't be replicated easily but I haven't opened them up yet to see what they look like.

Last edited:
I know a several of these have already been traced but I had my full list typed out already and just copying and pasting it in. If any of these are worthwhile or haven't been traced, I'm happy to do whatever to help get them traced.

ManufacturerPedal Type
BossChorus Ensemble CE-5
BossCompression Sustainer CS-3
BossDistortion DS-1
BossFender '65 Deluxe Reverb Amp FDR-1
BossGiga Delay DD-20 Digital Delay
Boss Loop Station RC-2
BossSlicer SL-20 Audio Pattern Processor
BossSuper OverDrive SD-1
BossTremelo TR-2
Caroline Guitar CompanyKilobyte
DigitechJimi Hendrix Experience Mulit Effects Pedal
Digitech Whammy 4thGen
Dirge ElectronicsSlowly Melting
DunlopJimi Hendrix Octavio JH-OC1
DunlopZakk Wylde Signature Wah ZW-45
Electro-HarmonixBig Muff Pi
Electro-HarmonixPOG
Emerson CustomPomeroy
Emerson Custom Scranton Screamer
JoyoVoodoo Octave
Keeley AudioCaverns
MXR 10 band EQ
MXRPhase 90
MXRSmart Gate
ProCoRat Distortion
TC ElectronicRusty Fuzz
Walrus AudioJulia Analog Chorus/Vibrato
Walrus AudioJupiter Mulit Clip Fuzz
Walrus AudioLuminary Quad Octave Generator
Way Huge Blue Hippo
ZvexDouble Rock

I’d love to see a copy of the slicer traced for a PCB. I have a similar setting on the H9 but would love to build my own chopper!

When you do get around to taking photos, they have to have enough contrast on the board so that we can follow the traces. Both sides. Also, don't bother with boards that have unmarked surface mount parts. When I trace pedals, I invariably end up using a DMM to verify continuity of some traces that are Obscured by Clouds other parts.

The Jupiter looks tractable. Not too many SMT caps, should be able to guess their value. I'll take a bash at drafting a schematic. Can you provide
the transistor part numbers?

3 LF353, a pt2399, microcontroller/relay switching and another digital switch relay (CP1010N?). Dayumn! Well Jack Deville had a hand in it, not shocking.

Here is my first draft. The capacitors are probably close to what everbody else is putting in a Big Muff. Diodes are probably 1N4148. Once Thedwest gets me the transistor part numbers, the trimmer resistance (marked on the side) and confirms that values of R20 and R21 (too blurry in the pix), I'll update the schematic. The trimmer starves the bias on the 3rd stage. Note the rather large resistor at the bottom of the FUZZ control. Really limits how far down you can set the gain.

Walrus Audio Jupiter.png

Last edited:
Back