Unwelcome Levitation – Octa Mayer Fuzz

jhaneyzz

Finished wrapping this Octa Mayer up this evening.

The etching is entitled "Unwelcome Levitation" so that's what I'm calling this one.

I'm still getting some strange background noise, I don't think it's my spider wiring but I'm not sure where else It might be coming from.

I know it's strange, but I haven't built very many fuzz pedals and I'm not really sure what to expect from different circuits.

Jewel is a carnelian sphere lit with a 48,000 mcd super bright LED from Mouser.

Etching was done with caustic soda for about 15 minutes.

I've been migrating to these jacks mostly because I am getting pretty annoying arthritis in my left and and unplugging pedal jacks is about the worst thing for it. These cheaper jacks are super easy to unplug.

IMG_6895.jpg
IMG_6893.jpg

I'm still getting some strange background noise
I guess you tried it on its own, only connected to your guitar and your amp ?

Did you try a different power supply, and a different electrical outlet in a different room, with your phone far away from the amp and the circuit ?

If you'd have your transistors socketed, it'd 've been easier to try it with some new ones ?

You could also try to consolidate the jack IN ground connection to the enclosure, and add some shielding to IN and Out wires ?

If nothing works, maybe a DC blocking cap could help ? Or a Troubleshooting post, with sound sample and voltage readings, if the noise is really annoying....

There's also the possibility that some intruder sneaked through your armed guards and all your security cams, to sabotage your soldering again...

How are your relationships with the local mafia godfather these days ? I would pay him a visit...

The levitating character artwork is really impressive. I wonder if you considered the possibility to add some colors on some of your etched enclosures ?

Last edited:
Finished wrapping this Octa Mayer up this evening.

The etching is entitled "Unwelcome Levitation" so that's what I'm calling this one.

I'm still getting some strange background noise, I don't think it's my spider wiring but I'm not sure where else It might be coming from.

I know it's strange, but I haven't built very many fuzz pedals and I'm not really sure what to expect from different circuits.

Jewel is a carnelian sphere lit with a 48,000 mcd super bright LED from Mouser.

Etching was done with caustic soda for about 15 minutes.

I've been migrating to these jacks mostly because I am getting pretty annoying arthritis in my left and and unplugging pedal jacks is about the worst thing for it. These cheaper jacks are super easy to unplug.

View attachment 42683
View attachment 42684
That's very clean looking and I love the name! Sorry to hear about your arthritis, man!

As for the noise, you can try connecting the DC jack to the pcb using a 47-100r resistor instead of the wire

I guess you tried it on its own, only connected to your guitar and your amp ?

Did you try a different power supply, and a different electrical outlet in a different room, with your phone far away from the amp and the circuit ?

If you'd have your transistors socketed, it'd 've been easier to try it with some new ones ?

You could also try to consolidate the jack IN ground connection to the enclosure, and add some shielding to IN and Out wires ?

If nothing works, maybe a DC blocking cap could help ? Or a Troubleshooting post, with sound sample and voltage readings, if the noise is really annoying....

There's also the possibility that some intruder sneaked through your armed guards and all your security cams, to sabotage your soldering again...

How are your relationships with the local mafia godfather these days ? I would pay him a visit...

The levitating character artwork is really impressive. I wonder if you considered the possibility to add some colors on some of your etched enclosures ?

Good point about the mafia. I'l pay my informants to dig into that...

Of course I didn't try any reasonable troubleshooting steps...

1677166107845.png

That's very clean looking and I love the name! Sorry to hear about your arthritis, man!

As for the noise, you can try connecting the DC jack to the pcb using a 47-100r resistor instead of the wire

Thanks,

"clean looking" is high praise from you...

I really dig the name as well.

I get the coolest graphics when i feed MidJourney with obtuse prompts like that.

1677167081838.png
Isn't it a big interfering knob, obstructing musical creation ? An other sabotage attempt ?

I wonder how a two-meters-tall enraged guitarist suffering from withdrawal symptoms, wearing his big construction safety shoes, could manage to smoothly switch this little stompbox on and off, surrounded and hard pressed from every side by an angry mob, dancing and rampaging in a dark basement ?

Hard training in these special dedicated facilities, maybe ?
1565.jpg
Surely the :whitewasher: white washer could help somehow... Did you try these shoes ? I heard they're effective with most circuits ?
index.jpg

Last edited:
Back