Valhalla Question

fractal33

Just wondering for those of you who have put one together, does yours sound extremely dark also? I have to turn the presence knob up all the way along with boosting the treble quite a bit to get a useable tone. I saw it was suggested to possibly change or remove C19 to make it brighter so I might try that. I went over my build and every cap and resistor is correct. I'm not sure if that is just how it sounds because I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks!

Just wondering for those of you who have put one together, does yours sound extremely dark also? I have to turn the presence knob up all the way along with boosting the treble quite a bit to get a useable tone. I saw it was suggested to possibly change or remove C19 to make it brighter so I might try that. I went over my build and every cap and resistor is correct. I'm not sure if that is just how it sounds because I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks!
Yes I built one with all the correct values and it is quite dark sounding. I love mine it’s a brutal sound and found using my BBE Sonic stomp (I built the AION sonic stomp it has a couple extras on it) after it and it really helps actually my Sonic stomp is one of my always on pedals.

Yes I built one with all the correct values and it is quite dark sounding. I love mine it’s a brutal sound and found using my BBE Sonic stomp (I built the AION sonic stomp it has a couple extras on it) after it and it really helps actually my Sonic stomp is one of my always on pedals.
I'm having a really hard time getting along with mine. I keep thinking maybe I messed something up in the build but everything checks out and I tried running it on 12v and 18v. Earlier I socketed the c19 and played with different values which made it slightly less dark, but I think it might have added to the overall fizziness. Dark and fizzy, that is what I get from this pedal. Maybe my taste in distortion is different or maybe I'm just not using it correctly. Going to try going straight into a power amp next. Thanks for the tips.

I run all my pedals into a clean Yamaha G100 🙀 Picked that up in a pawnshop 120 and worked pristine but no cabinet or speaker. 3 days later friend finds some 15” Altec Lansings got it for 40 bucks it’s a Lansing 510B I’ve Never never been able to turn my amp up past 1.everything starts shaking and I will never part with the speaker Not my dream rig but simple setup and more than happy with what I got Sound and tone are so incredibly subjective . I didn’t really like my Valhalla at first for the same reason but give some time and play with a treble booster maybe paired with it my Nux Od I have not found but 1 pedal it would not enhance Tight Metal all other pedals with the Nux really adds shine zing and pep hard to describe but so noticeable when not on

I built a couple Valhalla and they seemed really dark to me too. I had a customer return one because he said it was much darker than his original. I found it undergain and underwhelming but have never tried an original. The Okko Dominator is my high gain modern distortion of choice.

Hmmm this is an interesting conversation. And definitely subjective to our own perception of what a good distortion sounds like. Gotta be why there hundreds and hundreds of just distortion to choose from. Then our gear. My Yamaha G100 has distortion , reverb ,tremolo with speed and a pre set volume ( a boost or reduction switch) Anyways I’m getting off subject a little it’s just to say Our gear to our ear really is all that matters I’m no electronics guy so I can’t figure out mods I wish I could . So I don’t like a pedal or 2 I will usually build another 3 or 4 I can’t help it My girl keeps asking me “Don’t you have enough pedals? When is this gonna end? Your gonna run outta room” and I hear “You don’t have enough pedals this should never end we’ll always make room. “That’s how we’re still going strong communication

Back