Van Pelt Drive (JHS Charlie Brown)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is the first of a series of MIAB type pedals I have queued up.

I've been sitting on this board for some time now, it might even have been in the first PPCB order I placed.
I actually owned the commercial version of this for a hot minute, but it wasn't enough to hold my attention so I returned it.
But then I missed it......:)

But since I kinda already knew what the pedal sounded like, it kept getting pushed to the bottom of the PCB pile until I fished it out this week and decided to build it as part of my MIAB series. (I've got the Golden Falk, Aion BSIAB2, Closed Circuit Limiter Boost all lined up).

After building the Je T'aime it whetted my appetite for more "JTM-ish" pedals. The Charlie is supposed to emulate a JTM45.
And I'll say up front, it doesn't sound like one heh. No surprise there, hard to capture that in a pedal.

Having said that, like the Je T'aime, it's does give a nod to that gritty texture of a pushed JTM (although not the fat, warm cleans) and it sounds really quite good for low gain applications.

Compared to the Je T'Aime it's got a lot more going on with a 3 band "Marshall style EQ" (whatever that's supposed to mean) and a creamier texture when cranked.
I have to say it does not sound very appealing to me with the gain cranked. In fact the best sounds I was getting was with the gain knob almost all the way off then boosting it with the Celsius Preamp. Sounded great with both my Strat neck pickup as well as PRS 594 humbuckers.

I think this pedal is ripe for stacking and I'm planning to play around with some different drive pedals before and after to see how it does.

On it's own it's a nice low gain, amp-ish kind of pedal that reacts well with the guitar volume control, pretty open and uncompressed sound.
I've not been a huge fan of the JHS pedals in general, but I'm digging this one. Seems like a lot of resistors but the build was easy and smooth.

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

One day will come when you'll wish you labeled those knobs.

I've had to open up pedals to remind myself what a knob does. After doing it a few times, out comes the label maker.

This is the first of a series of MIAB type pedals I have queued up.

I've been sitting on this board for some time now, it might even have been in the first PPCB order I placed.
I actually owned the commercial version of this for a hot minute, but it wasn't enough to hold my attention so I returned it.
But then I missed it......:)

But since I kinda already knew what the pedal sounded like, it kept getting pushed to the bottom of the PCB pile until I fished it out this week and decided to build it as part of my MIAB series. (I've got the Golden Falk, Aion BSIAB2, Closed Circuit Limiter Boost all lined up).

After building the Je T'aime it whetted my appetite for more "JTM-ish" pedals. The Charlie is supposed to emulate a JTM45.
And I'll say up front, it doesn't sound like one heh. No surprise there, hard to capture that in a pedal.

Having said that, like the Je T'aime, it's does give a nod to that gritty texture of a pushed JTM (although not the fat, warm cleans) and it sounds really quite good for low gain applications.

Compared to the Je T'Aime it's got a lot more going on with a 3 band "Marshall style EQ" (whatever that's supposed to mean) and a creamier texture when cranked.
I have to say it does not sound very appealing to me with the gain cranked. In fact the best sounds I was getting was with the gain knob almost all the way off then boosting it with the Celsius Preamp. Sounded great with both my Strat neck pickup as well as PRS 594 humbuckers.

I think this pedal is ripe for stacking and I'm planning to play around with some different drive pedals before and after to see how it does.

On it's own it's a nice low gain, amp-ish kind of pedal that reacts well with the guitar volume control, pretty open and uncompressed sound.
I've not been a huge fan of the JHS pedals in general, but I'm digging this one. Seems like a lot of resistors but the build was easy and smooth.

View attachment 30598

View attachment 30599
Tidy Build as always!!!
I don't own any JHS pedals & the 3 I have built don't do anything for me either.
Have you tried it with a LM833 or 5532 OpAmp ?

Tidy Build as always!!!
I don't own any JHS pedals & the 3 I have built don't do anything for me either.
Have you tried it with a LM833 or 5532 OpAmp ?
Trying to imagine what that would do over the TL072. I believe the Angry Andy Plus I build I used an LM833. I'd have to double check. Similar circuits as I recall.

In this circuit the op-amp is used for recovery from the tone section. I doubt changing it would matter.

The gain comes from cascaded mosfet boosts (SHO's essentially). It's very similar to the Box of Rock, but JHS added the active 3 band tone control.

Angry Andy is a Guvnor, op-amp driving hard clipping diodes--different beast.

In this circuit the op-amp is used for recovery from the tone section. I doubt changing it would matter.

The gain comes from cascaded mosfet boosts (SHO's essentially). It's very similar to the Box of Rock, but JHS added the active 3 band tone control.

Experiment, you may end up wIth an BB OPA2134! ;)

I thought the Angry Andy was basically an M-Audio CrunchBox? Is that based on the Guvnor as well?

Back