VFE Standout

Mcknib

20220426_044759_copy_447x720.jpg
20220426_044926_copy_392x630.jpg

Almost perfect toner transfer onto a power coated Gorva enclosure bit of a tight fit but just about got there you can see my efforts painting the inside to insulate it, it didn't, just smells of paint fortunately nothing was touching the bare metal

LPF went a bit wonky with my over zealous ironing nerves got the better of me coz you've only got one chance ironing toner transfer onto powder coat it's a b*s&^#+ to get off if you mess it up

Great sounding pedal with loads of flavours goes from clean to pretty dirty with lots of nice sustain

Last edited:
It reminds me of the VFE Focus. I also built a a Standout, and although the board says v2.2, it has a different layout with only one toggle switch to control both passes. I got it way back and the instructions gave choices for voltage and op amp. What did you go with?

Yeah I had a few problems there's not a lot of documentation about for this version Peter was excellent with his email responses considering he's a busy man

I went with the expensive OPA4134 although I thought any quad op amp would have done which was confirmed by Peter

I just thought let's build it exact, voltage I used a 9v adaptor didn't really look at any other power options

I've got a few docs to look at from his motherload update so I'll maybe experiment

Very nice work @Mcknib
Obviously out of practice with the iron now you are out of the forces! 😉

Did you do the SMD stuff yourself as well?

Reactions: fig
Those bypass boards are a little tricky concerning the voltage. Basically that trim will set it between 0 and 18v regardless of power supply. There is a sweet spot typically around 12v with least noise. BE careful if measuring voltage with leads though. I jumped voltage to another pad on accident and ruined the board. It is an inductor based power supply so not a typical easy debug (at least for me.))

Those bypass boards are a little tricky concerning the voltage. Basically that trim will set it between 0 and 18v regardless of power supply. There is a sweet spot typically around 12v with least noise. BE careful if measuring voltage with leads though. I jumped voltage to another pad on accident and ruined the board. It is an inductor based power supply so not a typical easy debug (at least for me.))
Agreed!!! All of the VFE stuff is pretty involved, the new SPS is really streamlined and sounds great.

Nice build though, that standout really does standout! Oh yeah Dad joke winner of the day!

Back