Waypoint Fuzz

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
To start, this is a very cool fuzz pedal. It's pretty simple. Nothing too out-of-the-ordinary. The best way to describe it is exactly how they market it; It takes the gain of a Tone Bender and combines it with the ability to clean up like a Fuzz Face. It does this very well. There are some excellent low gain tones available. I had a lot of fun messing around with this one. My only nit-pick is that it's a little thin for my taste. I haven't tried fattening it up yet stacking with a boost, drive, etc. but I think it would do well. I will make a demo for this one at some point.

The enclosure:
It all started wanting to try this gold spray paint. I used a 1590B as to not waste a 125B. But, when I went to spray it, it was only just a gold glitter spray. Not an actual base. Plus, I didn't primer it, so it was a wet mess. I sanded that down a bit then sprayed white primer over it. Then I went over it with a purple. Then I tried to do the crackle paint just to experiment on an enclosure that I didn't think would make it. But low and behold, it came out pretty damn cool looking (imo). It's got the white, purple and black crackle going on. With big cracks almost look like weird snakeskin. There is a sweet spot when timing the spraying that I'm still figured out. But this one came out cool.

So, this was really a case of having the enclosure first then finding something to put in it. The is PCB fit okay but had to make some modifications to get everything to fit. Like laying down the electrolytic caps and using tantalum caps. Also, had to tweak the pots to fit. Also, there were some oddball values of the resistors that I just found ones that were close enough.

Overall, I'm happy with this build.

Attachments

• 20240129_223657.jpg
    20240129_223657.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240129_223704.jpg
    20240129_223704.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20240129_223648.jpg
    20240129_223648.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 27
I tried. I only had 6 in my stock, so I measured them and took the 3 closest ones.
I only ask because I didn’t match mine, but they were all the same. My pedal doesn’t sound too good. Just barely unity and there is no fuzz. I noticed on a teardown video of the circuit that the transistors are color-coded…

I only ask because I didn’t match mine, but they were all the same. My pedal doesn’t sound too good. Just barely unity and there is no fuzz. I noticed on a teardown video of the circuit that the transistors are color-coded…
Oh weird. Yeah, that sucks. Mine is loud and fuzzy as hell. I wonder if it is a transistor issue.

Back