What are your favorite spray paint colors?

I love to use Duplicolor Metalcast Anodize sprays that are translucent. The colors are awesome, especially over a nicely wet sanded aluminum enclosure.

One I just did was the Rust-Oleum Imaginations(?) color shift metal flake. One of the best results painting I've ever done. Black semi-gloss base and the metal flake/glitter over the top.

I can get photos tomorrow.

I love to use Duplicolor Metalcast Anodize sprays that are translucent. The colors are awesome, especially over a nicely wet sanded aluminum enclosure.

One I just did was the Rust-Oleum Imaginations(?) color shift metal flake. One of the best results painting I've ever done. Black semi-gloss base and the metal flake/glitter over the top.

I can get photos tomorrow.
Hell yeah! I would love to see that. That sounds enticing.

Getting off topic but some #10(iirc) self tapping sheet metal screws work well for standoffs. Just poke em in the enclosure screw holes and a slight twist. Won't mar the threads but will grab just enough.
I keep meaning to get some 2 inchish M10s or whatever tayda boxes are threaded to.

6-32 if you’re screw shopping.

I forget who I copied this idea from, but I really like these bent wire standoffs clamped in place with the lid. I’ve never painted an enclosure, but they all get clear coat.

Attachments

• 5378EF30-32E2-44E3-8A8E-87BA5224D424.jpeg
    5378EF30-32E2-44E3-8A8E-87BA5224D424.jpeg
    804.9 KB · Views: 26
Rust-Oleum Imagine Craft & Hobby Color Shift Spray Paint Purple Sunrise

It's stunning, but to get the color shift it has to go on top of a black underlayer - I typically use it on top of a prepainted black enclosures.
Just don't overspray, or the top coat will run.

It's hard to find, Amazon seems to be out of it at the moment...

Rustoleum has a hammered blue if you can find it

Any of the hammered’s i love.
I'll be semi-serious now; another vote for the Rustoleum Hammer finish rattle cans. Restored a rusty Craftsman chest with the blue (preferred that over the original, neutral gray of a toolbox I inherited), and did a number of old Jeep steel wheels in hammered black.

1000007059.jpg

The blue is less saturated, like 1950s machine shop and not Ford engine block blue, right? I was surprised just how stupidly difficult it is to find. Black is in stock even at my local Ace Hardware.

Anyhow, love 'em, but h*ck if they don't take forever and a day to cure, even in the arid southwest.

Last edited:
Hell yeah! I would love to see that. That sounds enticing.
Okay, so the lighting isn't great and it's been super crazy around here: baseball and softball seasons

The purple is dark due to many layers of purple. The green is a nice green. The blue is my favorite, but it's been nicked up from moving (one house move and multiple storage space in said houses). The yellow has a tinge of green, but it's a gold. Almost like a gold top.

These pictures reminded me: I don't have one in red!

Attachments

• IMG_20240511_203437.jpg
    IMG_20240511_203437.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 17
I love the whole DupliColor/VHT “MetalCast” series. The translucent colors look amazing over polished or textured aluminum (bet it would also look good over a good metal flake to make ”candy” colors

I have a few cans of them butvthe whole rack would be cool :) Graffiti paint!
But not their clearcoat as it melts the rubber of my pedal power cables.

Back
Top Bottom