• International Mail Service Disruptions
    A large number of international shipments have been disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. International shipments may experience longer than normal delivery times.
    Read more…

What guitars do you all play?

I'd love to build a solid body electric. I have access to nice planer/jointer/woodshop equipment to get me started with a great body. So far have been intimidated by new equipment/tools needed to finish up and adjust the neck. Any suggestions for a gateway/entry-level project (reading material, parts suppliers, forums, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

BurntFingers

I'd love to build a solid body electric. I have access to nice planer/jointer/woodshop equipment to get me started with a great body. So far have been intimidated by new equipment/tools needed to finish up and adjust the neck. Any suggestions for a gateway/entry-level project (reading material, parts suppliers, forums, etc) would be greatly appreciated.
Look on guitar forums. Watch youtube videos. TDPRI has their Home Depot section, MyLesPaul has their Luthier's Corner, Sevenstring.org has a great luthiery section for modern style instruments (lots of wenge). But the same methods and processes apply across all of them. It's a matter of breaking it down into smaller jobs that ultimately culminate in the finished product.

The best way to learn is to do. Seriously. It's pretty straight forward to cut a body shape out of wood, clean up the edges, then rout/drill the holes where they need to be. That's just rudimentary woodworking. The only finicky jobs are fret placement and radiusing - buy a slotted fingerboard and you're halfway there.

A tele is about the simplest thing you can make. No carved tops, just a slab of wood, and because it's such a classic design there's templates, dimensions, build reports, up the wazoo so a lot of information to lean on if you encounter a problem.

Just do it man.