What strings do you guys use?

The tuning is good on my Yamaha but with the NYXL's once they're stretched I could pound railroad spikes with the guitar and it would be in tune. I've switched from 11's to the 10 set. I have a tendency to have a death grip on the neck and the 11's helped me struggle a bit so I don't over bend. As I've aged (older than dirt) I've got a certain confidence (weak) and have backed down to 10's.

When I used to play 5 sets a nite the 10's were mandatory but for anyone that has tuning issues: upping the gauge to the highest you can manage will certainly help.

Strangely enough the Yam was set up for 9's when I bought it and I've always thought (puts on flamesuit) that bigger strings sounded "bigger". I think the Yam was ideal at 9's for tone but I just can't play strings that light.

View attachment 82770
Precision
View attachment 82771
Squier VI
View attachment 82772
Scratch built 27" scale
View attachment 82773
Also self built Tele with CC neck pu

Every time I try flats on something it seems to become permanent.

I put d'addario lights on my 6 and 12 string acoustics out of habit but I truly have no loyalty to the brand.

I use TI Jazz Flats on my P
Fedora rounds on my Jazz and MM SUB

The Fedora stings are really mean sounding, which I really appreciate considering I use my P 99% of the time. I'm always surprised when I pick up my J and it's so growly and aggressive.

I refuse to buy DR strings because I bought some Sunbeams like 20 years ago and I snapped the G after like two days and I've held a grudge ever since 😂

I've never been cool enough to break a bass string in like 30 years. You must have been doing some Billy Sheehan riffs.

I’m impressed with the folks that can remember what strings they put on their bass. Last time I changed the strings on any of my basses had to be at least 12 years ago.

I've never been cool enough to break a bass string in like 30 years. You must have been doing some Billy Sheehan riffs.

It's the only time it's happened in almost 25 years of playing. I'm sure it was a defect but I was a poor college student at the time and bass strings are expensive 😂

I’m impressed with the folks that can remember what strings they put on their bass. Last time I changed the strings on any of my basses had to be at least 12 years ago.

I had some Chromes on my P bass for about a decade, I changed them about 4 years ago to try the TIs, and these are just feeling broken in. Flats are like wine.

I'm lazy. Ernie Ball .08's.

At one point I ran 11's on my Tele, tuned down a half step. But then I got wise. The only one that can tell what gauge the guitar is strung with, is the player.

I started on Ernie Ball slinky’s, and stayed with that brand for at least 20years. As I started playing more, I was replacing them often. Like 4 times a year. When they would loose there Twang.
A few years ago, I switched to the d’addario XS. They are Magic! I love them. They bend further with more ease. I don’t care that they cost double. Wipe them before/after you play and they can last a year.

I’ve tried various gauges over the years, both heavy and thin, and have settled on 10-46.

And Flat Wounds are a ton of fun. Guitar or Bass. Treat yourself to a set on one of your guitars. I have a set on an old arch top that gets neglected.

Back