What would you consider a "long enough" delay time for most practical purposes?

Surely it must use two PT2399s to achieve those delay times. I'd love to take a look at the schematic, but my Google Fu failed me. They mention using some open source tap tempo circuit in it. One would thing that a product using open source stuff would also be open source. But I guess it depends on the license type.
Yeah I'm also getting nothing, I guess some brave soul will have to purchase one and send it to Robert for a trace/board and the greater good of all.

Yeah I'm also getting nothing, I guess some brave soul will have to purchase one and send it to Robert for a trace/board and the greater good of all.
TBH, by now I've played around with PT2399 enough and deviated from the datasheet examples far enough that I think I have a pretty good idea what can be squeezed out of it and at what cost it comes (or is that a feature?). I published my findings for the curious who want to dig deeper. I wish others would be more inclined to do the same. It's not like they're the ones who figured out how to drill the hole in the macaroni. Virtually everything in electronics has been done before.

In face of obscurity, trace, baby, trace.

He says he’s getting 1250ms out of one chip (they have a chapter on the delay @~29m in; also interesting discussion of heating a Ge transistor to keep its bias consistent elsewhere in this)

I don't really see how anyone could get 1250ms out of a single PT2399. In my experience, the sound completely breaks down past 0.7-0.8 seconds. All kinds of nasty artifacts start appearing even in the noise floor, nevermind in the signal!

I've never found much use for anything over 500mS, and I am a long time delay fan. As in I've used delay for a long time, not a long delay time. A brand new DM2 was the very first pedal I ever bought.

TBH, by now I've played around with PT2399 enough and deviated from the datasheet examples far enough that I think I have a pretty good idea what can be squeezed out of it and at what cost it comes (or is that a feature?). I published my findings for the curious who want to dig deeper. I wish others would be more inclined to do the same. It's not like they're the ones who figured out how to drill the hole in the macaroni. Virtually everything in electronics has been done before.

In face of obscurity, trace, baby, trace.
I have seen this done with stock dual OpAmps in overdrive circuits.
This is beyond my technical knowledge, what would happen if you stacked one PT2399 on top of the other?

They surely have their inputs in parallel and are each set for different delay times. When mixed together, it sounds like a reverb. Probably somewhat similar to a spring reverb.

You could use two of them daisy chained, not stacked, to extend the delay time.
MBP Deathklaw has two pt2399s in series. I did a layout of this with modulation and SMD 2399s in 125B. It gets long cleanish delay times.

Though, IMO, as a person who uses long delay times for more rhythmic stuff, tap tempo is required to work in a band. The DIY offerings in tap tempo I haven't found reliable enough to make this work.

@Bio77, have you found any commercial delays that have reliable useable roadworthy tap-tempo, and if so what were they?
I find the DL-4’s tap tempo works like it should.

The idea I’ve been kicking around is two seabed pcbs, a bontempo, and a buffered output. For a diy delay that’s stereo, with tap tempo, ping pong, tails… basically all the goodies I would want in a commercial pedal.

Oh- missed the point of what I was originally going to write. The bontempo has a dual pt2399 operation mode where the double time toggle becomes a half time toggle.

Cool!

I've heard nothing but great things about the Nova, for sure a sleeper but word is slowly getting around.
Haven't managed to snag one yet.

re Bontempo
For those stumbling into this thread and unfamiliar with it, the Bontempo's available from Electric Canary:

populated%20board_cropped.jpg

In the Benson delay, how much do you think the compander is contributing to the clarity of long delay times? Or is it just giving "analog color" to a standard PT2399 circuit?

Back