When Audio probing

djmiyta

So I built a pedal that didn’t fire up properly ( if I crank the volume I can hear the effect). I get signal throughout the whole circuit except at the volume pot which I’m assuming is the last component the signal goes thru before out to the amp or pedal. I’ve checked the pot’s value and it seems to operate in its value and the wires have continuity from pot to board yet I have no signal out of the pot to output jack. Anybody have troubleshooting possibilities for this scenario ? My thought is a bad pot ( ooh it rhymes) just want to ask before replacing it? Maybe someone has had a similar problem and can share that experience?

So the signal is fine until it hits the volume pot? If so try reflowing the solder joints and see if it clears that up. Pots take a bit longer to heat correctly with an iron. Use your DMM and check if the resistance changes as you turn the knob. Check lugs 1 and 2 then 2 and 3.

nah I figured it out. Some idiot (that's all I'll say about the guy) left out a capacitor. on the board, It now works but I been messing with biasing (first time with quality trimmers) and 1) can't get the fade out of the distortion to end smoothly. It sputters at end. Badly. 2) Can't get Q1 to Bias properly can only get 2.7v at highest trimmer settings , wondering if instead of 5k a 10 or 20k trimmer would get the right voltage and possibly get rid of the sputtery fade out

Back