Where and why do people buy Chibsons?

hahaha the only horrendous thing about that guitar is the "relic" job that guy put on there. I fully expect to do a lot of work getting the guitar to play well but if I get stuck with a $250 wall ornament I wont be heartbroken either. and if I lose $250 I will let you guys know so you can tell me I told you so.

Last edited:
I agree with owlexifry - just get a Japanese copy. It will be a hundred times better. If you decide that you must have Gibson on the headstock that can be done. But I really would recommend against it and don't really see the point. You'll know it's not a Gibson.

Some of the Edwards and FGN copies are excellent. A few years ago I even bought a used Japanese Epiphone from Japan quite cheaply - it had the Gibson headstock shape and was a great guitar.

This is simply well-meaning advice. I won't call you any names. 🤪

hahaha the only horrendous thing about that guitar is the "relic" job that guy put on there. I fully expect to do a lot of work getting the guitar to play well but if I get stuck with a $250 wall ornament I wont be heartbroken either. and if I lose $250 I will let you guys know so you can tell me I told you so.
The end of the vid is the worst part. Neck bow. But take the jump!
Everyone needs a lawyer guitar 😂
I'd get a lawsuit Ibanez or a fgn.
Sub $900 for a MIJ LP that maybe doesn't sparkle as much but has superior craftsmanship to most Gibsons...
I doubt you are going to win an argument with PayPal over intonation.

I agree with owlexifry - just get a Japanese copy. It will be a hundred times better. If you decide that you must have Gibson on the headstock that can be done. But I really would recommend against it and don't really see the point. You'll know it's not a Gibson.

Some of the Edwards and FGN copies are excellent. A few years ago I even bought a used Japanese Epiphone from Japan quite cheaply - it had the Gibson headstock shape and was a great guitar.

This is simply well-meaning advice. I won't call you any names. 🤪
👍👍👍
MIJ is the way to go.

FGN is the same factory that made (some, check trussrod cover)Ibanez lawsuit LPs, the cherished early RGs and current MIJ ibis among others.
They were the blueprint for the quality MIK guitar factories today.
More money but high reward with low risk vs the opposite.

I LOVE the lawsuit era Ibanez guitars. But those are out of the budget currently. The Bob Weir signature is rad as hell.

Cause well everyone has an opinion and an asshole I'll chime in...

I certainly don't think you're an asshole for buying one of these guitars...

But I really dislike products that are trying to disguise themselves to be something else and don't understand how anyone can support bringing these into the market. I am a craigslist/marketplace/offer up whore if you will. enjoy shopping around and these things come up fairly often misrepresented as the real thing. A person familiar with them will be able to spot one pretty quick typically, but plenty of people out there probably wouldn't. It's just bad for the industry, bad for the consumer, bad for everything/everyone. Stop buying them so they stop making them.

I realize no one who is planning on buying one will give two shits about my opinion and that's fine :)

these are all very valid points. But I think this blue Chibson looks a 1,000 times better than the Gibson.... and costs $1,000 less. If I had many 1,000s of $$$$ we wouldnt be having this conversation hahaha but look at these.

fuuuuuccckkk... now i want this dragon SG

I LOVE the lawsuit era Ibanez guitars. But those are out of the budget currently. The Bob Weir signature is rad as hell.
fuuuuuccckkk... now i want this dragon SG
this is cheaper (just as an example)

if you're willing to be patient and keep your eye out, you might find something in your budget from some japanese / korean makers e.g.
- greco
- aria pro ii
- edwards / navigator
- FGN / history
- cool Z
- burny
- fresher
- tokai
- bacchus
- joodee

e.g. here's another cool one:

I know where you’re coming from @drgonzo1969. KISS was the first group I listened to when I was 6. Ace is the reason I wanted to play guitar. And at a time, I wanted an Ace Frehley LP with all my might, and considered a Chibson for some time.

Finally I decided against it, but not for the reasons exposed here by other people, but mainly because I got tired of Gibson as a brand, and because I distanced myself from the “Bro” guitar culture (not going to get into that, it’s just a personal preference).

But I can’t judge you for wanting a Chibson, when I buy my components from China, order my PCBs from China, and I’m writing this on a phone made in China.

And that’s another reason why I’m trying to source more parts from Europe, even if they’re more expensive. But I don’t want to get into that also, because that’s another personal preference.

Vintage 1970's Made-In-Japan Univox LP Style Singlecut Electric Guitar in Sunburst Finish https://reverb.com/item/61864560?ut...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=61864560

Aria 1970's LP Style Guitar Made in Japan Black https://reverb.com/item/70338494?ut...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=70338494

This one appears to be a Fujigen judging by the truss rod cover
Gerrinez LP Style Guitar 1970's https://reverb.com/item/67464648?ut...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=67464648

Firefly, newer but decently respected MIC guitar company had the Ace Frehley

Still have a 3hb LP style

I'd get a firefly before anything off eBay. At least they're a proper company...

Reactions: spi
Back