Who’s afraid of the DuoPhase?

@Betty Wont nailed it! Its not particularly hard just a lot of stuff to populate. One of my favorites and is coming up in a video soon. I love Siamese Dream by SP and it nails that sound beautifully
The producer used the biphase in stereo to sweeten the multi tracks all over that record. I've never been a fan of willy's music, and I have a pretty negative personal history with him that is permanently affected any ability to participate in it any further, but the producer killed it with the biphase on that record. They all went to digital autotune sweeteners after that.

So, Betty, out of all the ones you've built and sold did you keep any special build for yourself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm just putting together a small parts order from Tayda, unless you're ordering a custom painted enclosure, enclosures jack up the shipping costs big time. Not a problem when I lived in HK, or if I lived in the US now. Hmm that makes me wonder... I guess the painted&drilled enclosures must be coming from Tayda's US distribution centre; does Tayda Thailand do drilled/painted enclosures as well?

The producer used the biphase in stereo to sweeten the multi tracks all over that record. I've never been a fan of willy's music, and I have a pretty negative personal history with him that is permanently affected any ability to participate in it any further, but the producer killed it with the biphase on that record. They all went to digital autotune sweeteners after that.
I feel like there is a really interesting story here but it says a lot about a person when your whole band quits because you (willy) is an ego maniac. I have never met the guy but he does come across a bit pretentious. I feel like I am like most people, I dig the first couple of albums but then they lost me pretty hard after Mellon Collie.

I guess Willy is Mr. Corgan. I know nothing of the guy but his appearance on Joe Rogan didn't gain him my admiration (not that he'd care). In the 90s I was too busy listening to Pantera, Tom waits and Frank Zappa to care about the Pumpkins.

Anyway this thread has assuaged my fears of the Duo-Phase. Cheers!

wow you can tell us the story?

I've built a dozen of them. There is nothing special of note, and it is a pretty easy and forgiving build. Just lots of parts. It's just 2 Phasor II's on one board. I've built hundreds of Phasor II's in my life and I could populate them from memory at this point. No need to match the LDRs, and the tayda ones work just fine. It is not a finicky circuit, and uses all cheap and available parts. I use all tayda on these. I leave the trimpots at noon too. I've yet to build one that had any noticeable need to adjust. The Ldrs can lay flat on the pcb like flower petals or standing and facing. I lay mine flat. With the duo phase, light shields should be used to counter crosstalk with the optical phasers. I use 24/40 rubber septa on mine as they stretch a bit and fit perfectly. If you don't use the SCPA 1044 it will whine.
Awesome! That flower petal comment was exactly what I came searching for. I’ve had most of this board done for a month, just been procrastinating on the LDRs because I wasn’t sure how to arrange them. I’ve now googled what a 24/40 rubber septa is, but having a hard time picturing it on the board.
You’ve obviously built a ton of these and decided it’s a worthwhile step…

Do these look like the thing?

And are you socketing the ICs adjacent to the ldrs? That looks like a tight fit for the little LDR-hat.

Attachments

• EBD17067-D3FB-43F3-8E36-16CC9264B9F0.jpeg
    EBD17067-D3FB-43F3-8E36-16CC9264B9F0.jpeg
    627.2 KB · Views: 19
Awesome! That flower petal comment was exactly what I came searching for. I’ve had most of this board done for a month, just been procrastinating on the LDRs because I wasn’t sure how to arrange them. I’ve now googled what a 24/40 rubber septa is, but having a hard time picturing it on the board.
You’ve obviously built a ton of these and decided it’s a worthwhile step…

Do these look like the thing?

And are you socketing the ICs adjacent to the ldrs? That looks like a tight fit for the little LDR-hat.
I’d suggest finding something local to light shield. The septa were something I had on hand, they required modification, and I didn’t use ic sockets. Maybe a couple of soda bottle caps and a dab of hot glue?

I’d suggest finding something local to light shield. The septa were something I had on hand, they required modification, and I didn’t use ic sockets. Maybe a couple of soda bottle caps and a dab of hot glue?
That sounds like it might work! I’ll dig around and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

DIY at its absolute finest! Make sure the 2 pots under the pcb are insulated from the back if you aren’t using dust covers.
10-4. I've got dust covers on against the board. Actually had to desolder one of those pots because I forgot the cover on the first one. Doh.

Is there a good reason to use them on non-board adjacent pots?

Good Point. They sure are sticky. I've wondered about that. Must be something for corrosion control?

Back