Will Tayda colored enclosures withstand sanding

spi

Before I ruin an enclosure taking sandpaper to it, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and can give me advice.

I have some epoxy drips on the sides of the enclosures (my first attempts to use envirotex lite). I want to sand and smooth out the drips, but if I do I don't think I'll be able to avoid hitting the enclosure directly. Will this remove or ruin the color?

Before I ruin an enclosure taking sandpaper to it, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and can give me advice.

I have some epoxy drips on the sides of the enclosures (my first attempts to use envirotex lite). I want to sand and smooth out the drips, but if I do I don't think I'll be able to avoid hitting the enclosure directly. Will this remove or ruin the color?
I think so yeah. I removed all the powder coat from one with a flap disc on an angle grinder

Reactions: spi
I don't think you stand a chance of not hitting the powder coat with sandpaper and lruining it/leaving sanding marks. Maybe best to either leave it or sand the sides completely bare aluminum look. A bit similar to this:
gIYik62.jpg

I just leave the drips. It adds character. Trying to remove them after they have cured will quickly sand through the powder coat.

Thanks, that was what I was worried about.

Two mistakes I made with this:
1). I just read that I should not have used masking tape and should've used packing tape (some of the epoxy trapped the masking tape under it, making it hard to remove--I think I can get it out with a needle or exacto knife though). Apparently packing tape is better.
2) I should have coated the entire side with tape--for some reason (tape conservation?) I only taped the top half of the sides. If figured I'd catch any drips before they got to the bottom half--but in some cases I had too much dripping and let it go--now some have extra epoxy buildup on the lower half of the sides.

Although the sides have these issues, I'm very happy with the way the tops (face) of the pedals look.

Thanks, that was what I was worried about.

Two mistakes I made with this:
1). I just read that I should not have used masking tape and should've used packing tape (some of the epoxy trapped the masking tape under it, making it hard to remove--I think I can get it out with a needle or exacto knife though). Apparently packing tape is better.
2) I should have coated the entire side with tape--for some reason (tape conservation?) I only taped the top half of the sides. If figured I'd catch any drips before they got to the bottom half--but in some cases I had too much dripping and let it go--now some have extra epoxy buildup on the lower half of the sides.

Although the sides have these issues, I'm very happy with the way the tops (face) of the pedals look.
I do not mask the sides with tape. I just try to be really careful with my application of epoxy to the top.
I made a writeup about how I do epoxy on my site here: https://www.pachydermpedals.com/tutorials/epoxy/

@dmnCrawler How long after the original application was the first check section? Or put another way, what's the time window in which you still clean up drips?

@dmnCrawler How long after the original application was the first check section? Or put another way, what's the time window in which you still clean up drips?
I check about every 15 minutes for the first 2 hours. It is usually just a quick visual inspection. If I need to clean some off I do so with a paper towel with a little isopropyl alcohol on it. I wipe up from the bottom of the drip if I can. One thing to really make sure of is that you are on a level surface. I tend to turn them every half hour to be sure that it is not pooling on a given side. I definitely turn it 180 degrees if there is a drip.

Try adding epoxy on all the sides. Like when you hit a dud note, play it twice to make it sound like you meant it/jazz.

Back