XB-MB Boost (BB Preamp Mid Boost)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So the power stabilized during the day today after the main portion of the storm passed us.

I believe it's set to make a 3rd landfall in Savanah sometime in the next day or so. So take care if you live there? Nasty bit of weather. One of worse I've seen in a while. Thankfully it didn't impact me except for some minor annoyances.

Anyway, my brother is returning two of the pedals I built for him. He said they went "kaput". So I have no more insight as to what's wrong with them than that, sigh....which is why I'm never going sell pedals.....hahah.

I'm building him a BB Preamp as one of the replacements. I've already built one for myself, the Aion Perelandra Deluxe.
The Aion "Deluxe" version includes a couple of the mods from the Custom Shop, namely the "Comp" and the "AT" Andy Timmons clipping options.
These are on an on-off-on toggle and comprise of 4 symmetrical diodes (Comp), 2 symetrical diodes (AT) and middle position is no clippers and just op-amp clipping.

I decided to try to replicate that with the XB-MP board which only comes with the one diode pair.

Both versions have the Mid control which is awesome.

I used a "DPDT Mod Board" from GuitarPCB, handy little thing.

Some of the changes I made to this build, I used BAS-33 TAP diodes in place of the 4148's for a little less saturation in the Andy setting. BAS-33 generally has a wee bit higher Vf although I did not measure them.
I originally also used the BAS-33 for the 2 pairs "Comp" side but did not like way they sounded in series. So I swapped those out for the 2x 4148 pairs but had to solder them in series to work on the mod board.

I played both pedals side by side and they sound a little different although I can dial them both to sound the same. The XB-MB is a lot louder for some reason.

Also, on the Aion version I used 2SC1815's (like the original) but on the XB I used BC550B's as per the build docs. I'm not sure if the gains can account for the difference in volume or not. I also used 4558IP's in the Aion and JRC4558D's in the XB. The op amp clipping setting sounds a little different but that might just be the variances in the gain pots, not sure.

Anyway, they both sound awesome. I'm probably going to send my brother Aion version since the mods are built into the board and not hacked in.
One less thing to go "kaput" hahaha.

I used the Tayda Orange Sand, love this color but it's my last one.

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

The Aion version uses a dual-gang pot. The XB-MB uses a modified schematic that simplifies the volume control, although that does result in a slightly higher output.

Ahhh
The Aion version uses a dual-gang pot. The XB-MB uses a modified schematic that simplifies the volume control, although that does result in a slightly higher output.
Ahhhm, ok then that explains why they sound different in "no clippers" mode. On the XB I need to turn the gain knob almost all the way off to dial out the clipping. They sound pretty identical in the 2 diode mode. So using the BAS-33's really didn't do much. But I have a bazillion of them that need using hahah...

Looks great! Glad youre okay.

My in-laws are in Port Orange and they are getting just hammered over there.
Yah some serious flooding in parts of South Orlando and Kissimmee.....I live on "high ground" (for Florida). We're at 167 ft above sea level, which is like Mt Everest for Florida......hope they are ok.

Back