SOLVED XC Phase not phasing

VanWhy

Could use another set of eyes on my XC Phase build. Plugged in I got sound, like a boosted signal but no phasers. Quad matched set of smd jfets from Lectric FX. I had the adapters in the opposite way and still the same thing. I'm 76% sure they are oriented right. Can this symptom be attributed to the transistors? Or something else? Only other thing is I have a 200k trim pot in there since don't have a 250k.

Attachments

• 20231115_183916.jpg
    20231115_183916.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20231115_184422_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20231115_184422_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 42
I'm not familiar with those adapters but if they're 2N5952 you have them oriented correctly. 2N5457 is opposite pinout.

Have you adjusted the trim pot?

Which JFETs are you using - 2N5952 or 2N5457s? Both will work but I believe the pinouts are opposite.

OK, probably two stupid questions but, just to be safe:

1. Did you move very slowly through the trim pot sweep? The area in which there is phasing is actually a very tiny amount of the sweep. You get no phasing, then in a very tiny area, phasing, then no phasing again. The 200 K pot should be fine(in fact, I believe that’s what I and others used as well.)

2. Is your input jack grounded? I just don’t see a ground wire running from it. (doesn’t address your issue, but just thought I would ask).

EDIT-Dammit, ninja’d by @Robert

Your answer was a lot more thorough.
Sorry for the highjack VanWhy.
Any chance of a modified footprint for the more sensitive circuits to use 3296 trimpots? Seems like multiturn could be beneficial in some instances, for those who choose.
Or is vertical clearance an issue?
I've yeat to figure out why these are so avoided in the hobby. Yeah. You can spin them out, but you only do that thrice until you learn your lesson...

I'm not familiar with those adapters but if they're 2N5952 you have them oriented correctly. 2N5457 is opposite pinout.

Have you adjusted the trim pot?
They are actually the smd version of 2N5457. So maybe they are in backwards? Would they work at all if backwards?

@mkstewartesq I did go through the trim pot but not super slow. I will try that. I stopped using the ground connection on the output sleeve when I saw @Guardians of the analog do it. Its worked on all my last builds since i started it.

Last edited:
Sorry for the highjack VanWhy.
Any chance of a modified footprint for the more sensitive circuits to use 3296 trimpots? Seems like multiturn could be beneficial in some instances, for those who choose.
Or is vertical clearance an issue?
I've yeat to figure out why these are so avoided in the hobby. Yeah. You can spin them out, but you only do that thrice until you learn your lesson...
No worries. Got to strike while the irons hot sometimes.

Yes, if they're 2N5457 they need to be installed backwards.

1700098042150.png

Once you have them installed correctly try turning the trim pot back and forth while listening, you should hear a phase shift while turning the pot.

Agreed that your JFETs seem to be oriented properly.

I see you replaced one of the TL072s with a TL022, which was a fix I found and promoted here when my XC Phase wasn't working properly (ticking, distortion in some modes). It fixed mine and also similar problems others were experiencing.

But not everyone experienced the problems I did, and some reported that the XC Phase functioned just fine with the 3 TL072s as per the docs. Maybe you're in that camp where you should try the "stock" build (all TL072s) just to be sure?

M

Sorry to bump in after the party. Looking at your build and it looks like you are missing a ground that should be connected to your input jack (to the right of your negative lead feeding your AC power.

Sorry to bump in after the party. Looking at your build and it looks like you are missing a ground that should be connected to your input jack (to the right of your negative lead feeding your AC power.
They’re all connected via the enclosure. That connection is basically a failsafe if the jack gets loose and doesn’t have a good hold on the box.

Back