SOLVED XC Phase not phasing

Hi Everyone,

I have looked through the previous posts about this issue and I don't think my issue has been resolved. I am using 4 matched 2N5952s that I ordered online. I am using a 200k trimpot instead of the 250k that the documentation calls for. I am using 2 TL072s and 1 TL022.

The pedal is turning on and sound is getting through. When I slowly turn the trimpot, I can kinda manually make the pedal phase, but it doesn't do it on its own. As in, I can hear a bit of the sweep of the phase, but only when I turn the trimpot around the "sweet spot."

As you can tell from the picture below, I had to wire some resistors in series to get the correct values. I also had to do some weird wiring to use the 3PDT breakout board that I have. The LED works fine.
" image_67516673.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I have looked through the previous posts about this issue and I don't think my issue has been resolved. I am using 4 matched 2N5952s that I ordered online. I am using a 200k trimpot instead of the 250k that the documentation calls for. I am using 2 TL072s and 1 TL022.

The pedal is turning on and sound is getting through. When I slowly turn the trimpot, I can kinda manually make the pedal phase, but it doesn't do it on its own. As in, I can hear a bit of the sweep of the phase, but only when I turn the trimpot around the "sweet spot."

As you can tell from the picture below, I had to wire some resistors in series to get the correct values. I also had to do some weird wiring to use the 3PDT breakout board that I have. The LED works fine.
"View attachment 62613
I'm not a fan of the Transistor socket type that you used.
v v v v This highly recommended!
Did you tin the ends with Solder so they make good contact or Did you put a wiggle in them so they fit firmly in the socket
Transistor Leg.jpg

After reading that nearly everyone that builds this has issues, You have to buy at least a set of Matching quads from different suppliers & cross your fingers!
I'm glad I own a EVH Phase 90 - Script or Block button!!!

I had my suspicions when I asked about the resistors in series & the use of the Carbon film.
When I see stuff like this, I usually send this link to the Member & get them to check their values.
This is the most common mistake Members make on a build.
It is always that 4th Band Multiplier in metal film that I see & if the picture is not clear, Brown, Red & Orange are the hardest to determine!!!
You click on Bands for 5 Bands.

Why can’t resistors be white so it’s easy to tell the colors? I can never tell the difference between red and brown or blue and black.
It was easier when they were light blue!
That bloody 4th band metal film multiplier should be double width!
It's common practice with design to use same digit resistors in the same circuit ie 100r, 1K, 10K,100K, 1M...... 3K3, 33K. 330K ....
That's where people get caught out!

Last edited:
Back