YATS With a Twist - Steggo Lays Out the Latest Timbre Man - CB Edition

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Once I figured out how to start doing my own layouts, the CB version of the Timbre Man was right near the top of my list. I know several people have laid the board out, though @Chuck D. Bones posted a version 2.2.2 in April - so I decided to use that version for my board.

CE Timbre Man - Falcarius OD - 01.jpg

I actually laid out this board before I laid out the Kosmoceratops, so it doesn't incorporate all of the refinements I've made in terms of spacing for the ribbon cable, but is otherwise pretty solid. Chuck emphasized that it was important to keep the traces to the op amp short to prevent oscillation in the circuit, so I dropped the op amp pretty much in the middle of the board and worked out from there trying to keep anything that connected to it close-by. With five potentiometers, getting those laid out was entertaining as well, so I decided to rotate the volume and drive pots to keep all of the controls effectively in a "T" shape at the top of the board. As you can see below, I also added some Easter Eggs to the back side of the PCB, "because who doesn't love dinosaurs?"

CE Timbre Man - Falcarius OD - 02.jpg

Once I got the boards in, I went ahead and started populating my first prototype. I used all 1% metal film resistors (Yageo) in the build. The film capacitors are a mixture of WIMA and KEMET. I went ahead and used MLCC capacitors for the lower value ones, though silver mica capacitors could be used instead. I may experiment in the future on whether they make much of a difference. Three of the diodes are new production, but one is a NOS 1N34A. I went ahead and splurged and used an OPA2134 op amp rather than the vanilla TL072, as I had several on-hand that I use in my Spinosaurus builds.

CE Timbre Man - Falcarius OD - 03.jpg

Once the board was together, Steggi was very keen to test it. This was actually the first of the boards I'd laid out that I finished a prototype for, so there were a lot of fingers crossed hoping the board would work. It fired up beautifully the first time. The very first thing I decided to do was compare it to my TSV808 clone in terms of noise level and performance. The shared DNA is very clear, but I really love the 3-band EQ - it allows you to shape the tone more precisely than the treble and bass knobs on the TSV808 (and that's even with the Tone Geek board moving the bass control to the top, as opposed to it being an internal trimmer you had to access through a hole in the enclosure on the real thing).

CE Timbre Man - Falcarius OD - 04.jpg

At that point it was just a matter of getting the board boxed up and into an appropriate enclosure. I designed this board to have the LED on the daughter board, so there is only an LED connection. The CLR and LED itself are therefore not on the main board. I decided to go with a fixed LED brightness on this build as well rather than including the brightness trimmer. The jack connections are all insulated in heat shrink tubing as well.

CE Timbre Man - Falcarius OD - 05.jpg

For the dinosaur mascot, I'd initially thought to call it the Timimus Overdrive. I'd even found a really amazing piece of dinosaur art that would have worked well with the enclosure, but I changed my mind for a couple of reasons. The Timbre Man and Timbre Man Boneyard edition sort of follow a lineage back to the Timmy 3 pedal, and Timimus was a little "on the nose" name-wise. Second, I tried for about 3 weeks, but couldn't find a way to get clear permission to use the dinosaur art I wanted to use, so I decided to make a name (and dinosaur) substitution - hopefully for something in roughly the same family (or with a similar silhouette). Enter, the Falcarius!

The rest of the enclosure follows the "Greek" theme that I've used on a couple of recent pedals - all of which at this point are ones that are either original layouts or modifications of the original circuit. I think I may need to add a chorus to this lineup so I can have a "Greek Chorus" pedal.

CE Timbre Man - Falcarius OD - 06.jpg

I'd initially used 1611 16mm knobs like I'd used on several other pedals recently, but given the number and tightness of the controls, I think I may move to the 15.5mm "Omnibot" knobs. Not only are they a little easier to use, if you look at them in profile, they sort of resemble the base of a Greek column, if you squint your eyes a bit. In terms of where this pedal stacks with my other tube screamer pedals - it immediately jumped into the Top 3, and I think it may nudge ahead of my Tone Geek Valve Screamer (the Velociraptor Screamer) right behind my TSV808, but it's really splitting hairs at that point.

Once again, HUGE thanks to Chuck for the awesome schematic!!!

A bit more at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/06/another-new-design-falcarius-overdrive.html

Back