Yet another Kewpie (but shiny!)

mkstewartesq

I’ve never owned a fuzz. I never wanted a fuzz. I don’t like the sound of fuzzes.

But then I heard the demo for the Mayonnaise over in the project wish list forum and, like a lot of people, I was kind of blown away by it. And so here we are.

The build was very straightforward. It was actually kind of a relief to not have to deal with integrated circuits for a change. Just resistors, capacitors, diodes and some transistors. And a buttload of knobs and switches.

It sounds terrific. Of course, it’s gonna be very much an education for me because I’ve never owned a fuzz (see above). But there are so many flavors to play around with on this thing that it is incredibly versatile. With the three toggle switches in the off position, it sounds like what I think of as a traditional fuzz but as you flip each one on, the sound gets a little more… I don’t know, “modern“? And because the three toggles are independent of each other, you really have a world of variety by flipping them on or off in any combination. Ditto for the sustain control, which, in my “non-fuzz“ mind, I think of as equivalent to a gain control as far as being able to go from a relatively clean sound to an over-the-top fuzz.

This thing needs to be played LOUD. When I was first testing the pedal, I had my amp up a little louder than I was expecting and it sounded absolutely glorious. I had a ton of fun playing my first fuzz right then. Later, after I boxed it and wanted to make sure it was still working properly, it was too late to really have the amp up at a decent volume. The pedal still sounded as it should but I felt a little deflated playing it at such a low volume. Again, the louder the better.

The enclosure was a bit different for me – I decided to go very minimalistic because I wanted a monochrome aluminum scheme. For the enclosure, I progressively sanded it from bare aluminum, from 220 grit up to 3000 grit and then some metal polishing cloths. It’s not truly a mirror finish but it’s pretty darn close. I opted not to clearcoat so, it scratches easily. Seriously – if you glance at this thing from across the room, it will develop a scratch. If you make a snide comment about it when you think it is out of earshot, it will scratch.

As far as the phrase on the pedal - it’s, of course, a reference to Woody Guthrie, who taped the sign “this machine kills fascist” to his acoustic guitar in 1943. it seemed to fit the spirit of a fuzz pedal.

Thanks,

Mike
IMG_0811.jpeg IMG_0819.jpeg IMG_0817.jpeg IMG_0814.jpeg

I’ve never owned a fuzz. I never wanted a fuzz. I don’t like the sound of fuzzes.

But then I heard the demo for the Mayonnaise over in the project wish list forum and, like a lot of people, I was kind of blown away by it. And so here we are.

The build was very straightforward. It was actually kind of a relief to not have to deal with integrated circuits for a change. Just resistors, capacitors, diodes and some transistors. And a buttload of knobs and switches.

It sounds terrific. Of course, it’s gonna be very much an education for me because I’ve never owned a fuzz (see above). But there are so many flavors to play around with on this thing that it is incredibly versatile. With the three toggle switches in the off position, it sounds like what I think of as a traditional fuzz but as you flip each one on, the sound gets a little more… I don’t know, “modern“? And because the three toggles are independent of each other, you really have a world of variety by flipping them on or off in any combination. Ditto for the sustain control, which, in my “non-fuzz“ mind, I think of as equivalent to a gain control as far as being able to go from a relatively clean sound to an over-the-top fuzz.

This thing needs to be played LOUD. When I was first testing the pedal, I had my amp up a little louder than I was expecting and it sounded absolutely glorious. I had a ton of fun playing my first fuzz right then. Later, after I boxed it and wanted to make sure it was still working properly, it was too late to really have the amp up at a decent volume. The pedal still sounded as it should but I felt a little deflated playing it at such a low volume. Again, the louder the better.

The enclosure was a bit different for me – I decided to go very minimalistic because I wanted a monochrome aluminum scheme. For the enclosure, I progressively sanded it from bare aluminum, from 220 grit up to 3000 grit and then some metal polishing cloths. It’s not truly a mirror finish but it’s pretty darn close. I opted not to clearcoat so, it scratches easily. Seriously – if you glance at this thing from across the room, it will develop a scratch. If you make a snide comment about it when you think it is out of earshot, it will scratch.

As far as the phrase on the pedal - it’s, of course, a reference to Woody Guthrie, who taped the sign “this machine kills fascist” to his acoustic guitar in 1943. it seemed to fit the spirit of a fuzz pedal.

Thanks,

Mike
View attachment 68002View attachment 68003View attachment 68004View attachment 68005
That finish is everything we wanted tayda chromium to be. 💅💅💅

I'm impressed that you got that kind of a finish. I sanded a bare metal enclosure every night for about an hour for five weeks, each night progressively step to a finer and finer grit of sand paper and finally ending with a #0000 grade steel wool, and I didn't even get a finish like that. That is impressive dude.

Looks great! We are on the same wavelength with a lot of the no-film stuff :cool: I've done polished boxes before. The no-film is more delicate. You did a smart thing keeping the graphics away from the nuts, that's the most common point for scrape-age. Mine seem to have stayed shinny over the years.

Next time, you can dab a bit of Armor All instead of a clear coat. Just be super careful on the no-film. You can rub it off. I wouldn't recommend it on your finished build. You'd want to have the option of striping off the graphic with acetone and re-applying it, if you bork it.

Looks great! We are on the same wavelength with a lot of the no-film stuff :cool: I've done polished boxes before. The no-film is more delicate. You did a smart thing keeping the graphics away from the nuts, that's the most common point for scrape-age. Mine seem to have stayed shinny over the years.

Next time, you can dab a bit of Armor All instead of a clear coat. Just be super careful on the no-film. You can rub it off. I wouldn't recommend it on your finished build. You'd want to have the option of striping off the graphic with acetone and re-applying it, if you bork it.

Thanks. I know that film free decals can be fragile, which is why I usually use a clearcoat. But I actually had a bit of a surprising discovery this time around. (Don’t get me wrong, I still know it’s prone to scratching and I’m going to be careful with it - luckily, all of my pedals are on a loop switcher so I don’t have to put my foot on the pedal itself all that often).

Once the glue had cured, it was still surprisingly visible all over the face of the polished enclosure (it’s probably the same on a painted enclosure, but you just don’t notice it). So, with my heart in my throat and figuring I could redo it if something went wrong, I gently went over the entire top of the enclosure with isopropyl alcohol to try to get rid of the cured glue. Some was more stubborn than others so I actually had to bear down a bit in spots. I was ready for the lettering to lift at any second but, to my luck and surprise, it didn’t at all. Not something I would want to try on a regular basis but I was really happy that I was able to remove all of the cured glue in the empty spaces without any of the lettering being damaged.

Mike

Awesome man! I love some anti fascist action!

Thanks,

Mike
View attachment 68002View attachment 68003View attachment 68004View attachment 68005

Thanks. I know that film free decals can be fragile, which is why I usually use a clearcoat. But I actually had a bit of a surprising discovery this time around. (Don’t get me wrong, I still know it’s prone to scratching and I’m going to be careful with it - luckily, all of my pedals are on a loop switcher so I don’t have to put my foot on the pedal itself all that often).

Once the glue had cured, it was still surprisingly visible all over the face of the polished enclosure (it’s probably the same on a painted enclosure, but you just don’t notice it). So, with my heart in my throat and figuring I could redo it if something went wrong, I gently went over the entire top of the enclosure with isopropyl alcohol to try to get rid of the cured glue. Some was more stubborn than others so I actually had to bear down a bit in spots. I was ready for the lettering to lift at any second but, to my luck and surprise, it didn’t at all. Not something I would want to try on a regular basis but I was really happy that I was able to remove all of the cured glue in the empty spaces without any of the lettering being damaged.

Mike
This is my experience, too. I usually clean the excess glue on the sides with IPA and then used a swab to get the bulk of the glue out from the negative space. Finally, as you said, a full pass over the graphic. Sometimes the graphic comes off though. Now a days I skip this with color powder coats, so as, not to risk it. Nice thing about the polished metal is a redo is possible with acetone :cool:

Back