Multi Rat

It’s alive!!!! It’s very rat like, the fat potentiometer is an interesting change. It sounds good thick and juicy, and anywhere in between, or before I guess. The diodes in the feedback loop is even more crunchier, and the GEs, wow! I think I got every rat covered and maybe a few new ones. I just gotta wait for it to be above 55 outside to paint the damn thing.

Nice clipping array! I'm still working on my breadboard version...I even thought about wiring an opamp selection between LM308 and OP07 (lots of jumpers....it's not pretty)
There’s at least one guy I read about having switchable ICs in a Rat-build — upshot was the chip didn't matter, other mods did more to change the sound.

Still, it’d be fun and useful to build a test-bench chip comparison doodad that you plug into the IC socket of whatever you’re working on for quicker A/B testing than manually swapping ICs while the memory of what the first IC sounded like fades from memory while getting the second IC set up.

Cannibalise an old computer-printer switcher for its multi-decade rotary… something like this:

tosoku-rs400-rotary-switch_MED.jpg

The darned thing sounded so good with just a tin-can and some random Ge diodes, I decided to build the breadboarded one and build another on a proto-sled for further experiments.

A rotary-array you say? Okay! I say
Well dammit, time to build a super ultra mega rat!

• Haha
Reactions: fig
Glad to hear it’s sounding good @jimilee - thanks to your inspiration I’ve got a PCB on the way with a 2P4T for soft clipping, hard clipping with LED or Si and an option for no clipping.

Haven't gotten there yet....great job sir!
Thank you. Thanks to Elecrow, I got 9 more boards if anyone wants one. I did miss a spot, so you gotta run a jumper from the right side of r9 to ground. I’m gonna stick with JLCPCB.

Last edited:
Back