Having trouble tinning tip, melt solder not consistent.

Nightendday86

So I have a weller soldering station. I have the heat set around 660f, and it is not tinning no matter what I do. I clean the tip with flux, then attempt to tin in, all the solder rolls of and I still have a tip that doesn't conduct heat very well.

So I have a weller soldering station. I have the heat set around 660f, and it is not tinning no matter what I do. I clean the tip with flux, then attempt to tin in, all the solder rolls of and I still have a tip that doesn't conduct heat very well.

Sounds like that tip is fried. Do you have another you can try?

750 CAN be on the higher end in terms of temperature. The temp doesn't affect the solder negatively (it actually melts and flows quicker), but it can affect the components if you keep the tip on it too long.

This was with multiple tips, the one that came with it, as well as some replacements I purchased.

isn't 750f Way too hot?
I set my iron to about 725f and have successfully built about 5 pedals using that temperature. Never had any issues, although you have to be a little more cautious with how long you're keeping the iron on the PCB.

My Hakko station is set to 750F. Works great that hot. I'd rather have a lot of heat for a couple seconds vs trying to heat a part with a weak temperature where you're holding the iron onto it for what seems like an eternity. I spent enough time with a cheap 25 watt iron to last a lifetime.

I don't think temp is the issue here. With leaded solder I can work at 450F no problem. And a Weller station is good (it's what I use too).

Maybe it's a bad batch of solder.

I don't think temp is the issue here. With leaded solder I can work at 450F no problem. And a Weller station is good (it's what I use too).

Maybe it's a bad batch of solder.

+1. The issue isn’t solder melting, it’s getting the solder to stick to the iron tip. Somethings off…

What are you cleaning the tip with prior to attempting to tin it? Although flux may help if it's oxidized it may need to be cleaned with another medium

I think it was the quality of the solder, seems to be working better... However I will say getting anything out of the eyelets once it's in is impossible.

I think it was the quality of the solder, seems to be working better... However I will say getting anything out of the eyelets once it's in is impossible.
try a stainless steel needle, I think stompbox parts sells a set

that takes a different skill set. stainless steel needles, wooden toothpicks, and the pin part of a big safety pin have all worked for me. reopening the a hole using a wooden toothpicks may be the easiest since all you do is melt the solder in the hole, insert the toothpick and then remove it after everything cools.

try a stainless steel needle, I think stompbox parts sells a set

This is effective. I have the same set. Only one or two of the needles is small enough to use on most pedal pcbs though.

Before this I used a pin needle, which was just as effective, with the bonus that I would often stab myself when I pushed it through.

Back
Top Bottom