Total Recall - DMM - build!

Dan0h

Ok day two of wrapping up delay week. Another MBP build. And a doozy at that.

This is a hefty build, I won’t call it a challenge because it wasn’t but it was very finicky. And the biasing part was not pleasant but I finally got it dialed in and wow it’s crazy. The mod section I could do without as it’s wild both the Vib and Chrous send this pedal into low tide territory which is cool but not really what I’m after in a delay pedal. The delay is super lush and amazing but that feedback knob is so touchy just breathing on it and it’s off to crazy town. When it’s in the magic spot it truly is magical.

I would build another aquababy but I would not build another one of these. It’s very $$$ when you add all the chips and dedicated wall wart and and and. Don’t get me wrong, I’m stoked to have it I have always wanted one. But I think I’m more impressed with the simple DM2 over this wild horse…meat… wtf.

Another case of too excited to snap a finalized gut photo. The pre-wired pre mn3005s will have to do. I will try to get audio from the aquababy vs DMM this weekend.

Go build something.
28735CC9-9D2D-4B5D-A75E-2FAE862CF02C.jpeg 18A20996-7B3B-4EAE-9B51-081C371C8DC8.jpeg

Fantastic build. I found one for about 100 while I was building mine, and couldn’t resist. It’s a great delay, nicely done. One thing you can do is increase the value of the feedback knob, and /or change the taper, if it’s not too late.

Fantastic build. I found one for about 100 while I was building mine, and couldn’t resist. It’s a great delay, nicely done. One thing you can do is increase the value of the feedback knob, and /or change the taper, if it’s not too late.
That’s a great idea. 10k is pretty small.
I think I’m going to remove R31, sounds like that gates the tails and people over on the MB forums seem to like that mod. It really is a cool delay.

Ok, I take back what I said about I would build another Aquababy but not another DMM. Flip that. After being able to crank my amp and do a side by side HOLY MOLY, the DMM is amazing as you already know. Hands down I would build another one. Man this thing rules. I feel like I have been transported to the 80s.

I have it's brother the tour bus... keep finding settings that fill so many other 'niche' pedals. is a tight soldering job you've done, better than mine but that is such a LOOOOOW bar :ROFLMAO:

Update: I read that some people clip R31 which takes the Total Recall back to the big box versions, I don’t 100% know what it does other than it acts as some sort of gate on the trails. I thought a dip switch would be cool to be able to turn that resistor on or off.

I clipped it and now the trails are way more natural sounding and the chorus and vibrato feature finally works. Pretty stoked.

It looks like the tourbus has a similar 1.5meg resistor at R18. Have any of you guys clipped R31 in the total recall or R18 in the tourbus?

I won’t be installing a dip because clipping it out has made this 100% better.

see if I can locate that 1, I just took mine apart to finish painting it...

post search edit no, I have it installed, I might try desoldering it because I don't have a replacement to cut, might explain why at some settings I get a 2 chords back effect and nothing at any setting similiar to majority of "Pride(in the name of love)" I do have the rate 50kb pot instead of chor/vib switch mod.

Last edited:
You don’t necessarily have to clip it, just pull one side of it up. You can drop it back down if you don’t like it. You could also put a pot on it and control the tails.

You don’t necessarily have to clip it, just pull one side of it up. You can drop it back down if you don’t like it. You could also put a pot on it and control the tails.
That’s what I did. It’s still there. 👍🏼

Love it! Looking at your pics I don't know why I always thought this such a complex build and scared me so much, seems more logically laid out than the Tourbus.

Also, huge PLUS that it doesn't need any blasted MN3101's.....they're starting to become the bane of my existence......

Back