Electrovibe

Gordo

Figured I'd pre-start this one. Board is pop'd, chassis is drilled and filed (square cut is about 10 minutes with a few drill holes and a bit of filing). I lucked out on finding C-dual pots, and I'm using the toggle shown in the original post. Just need to hit Hobby Lobby or a similar shop for white model paint. Photos to follow.

I'm still on the fence as to how to mount the photocells. Most bulb-type builds mount them flush to the board (I believe my Voodoo Labs is done this way). I should really mount them in sockets but I'm trying to go for the gusto and finalize. I'm thinking that since the LEDs are on the other side of then enclosure that I really don't need a light shield.

Reactions: fig
I’m also excited to see this.

I'm still on the fence as to how to mount the photocells. Most bulb-type builds mount them flush to the board (I believe my Voodoo Labs is done this way). I should really mount them in sockets but I'm trying to go for the gusto and finalize. I'm thinking that since the LEDs are on the other side of then enclosure that I really don't need a light shield.

I am about 50% done on my electrovibe build and I am having the same thoughts about the LDRs. In Mr PedalPCBs build there was no light shield. I was thinking about putting lots of electrical tape around the bypass and speed LEDs to ensure it’s dark so to avoid needing an LDR light sheild

Anyways - can’t wait to see this @Gordo !!

You also get bonus points for being the first electrovibe build report.

What are you all thinking for enclosure and knobs? I will probably do cream powder coat and cream chickenheads.

You can probably get the crackle effect on your oddy-knocky... why you'd want your pedal to crackle when most people are starting troubleshooting threads to get rid of crackle... To each their own.

Shoot your base coat, let it cure.
Shoot your "crackle" coat (different colour/shade recommended) and while it's still wet, scrunch up some cellophane or tinfoil or similar and apply it to the still tacky paint.

OR...

What about Rustoleum hammered gray?

817H0UlBsyL._AC_SY879_.jpg

AmplifiedParts has the mini chickenheads:

I did see the hammered and it's closer to the dark grey than the can of Cement textured finish I picked up but haven't tried yet. I guess my original Vibe was more of a wrinkled finish than crackle and hammered would visually get close. I need a few parts for other projects that I can snag at AmpParts so I guess I can justify the order. Justify...who am I kidding...

I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up some paint. Holy crap that stuff is expensive these days. Car model kits are $30 and even the little bottles of Testors paint are $2 a pop. How do kids get into this anymore?

I went with a lighter hammertone and it's not even close to the original color it looks really nice. I love this pedal enough that I don't care what color it is. It sounds killer and has similar noise levels to my original. Not a good thing, but in the spirit of being legit, this thing has it in spades.

I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up some paint. Holy crap that stuff is expensive these days. Car model kits are $30 and even the little bottles of Testors paint are $2 a pop. How do kids get into this anymore?
They don’t. Back when I was a teenager (the 2010s) I was really interested in that kind of stuff, but even to get the basic primary colors it was uber-expensive, and they don’t even mix very well for getting other hues. At one point it was up to $4.50 for a 1/2oz testors bottle at most stores. Shit’s too expensive for kids these days 😪

That's a drag. Back when I was a kid (60's/70's) I spent a ton of time building models on a paperboy salary.

Got the little beastie together and waiting for paint to dry completely. My switch doesn't look as nice as the PedalPCB version (the painted part) but will touch it up tomorrow.

I'm noticing a slight volume drop at max volume (which, again, is true to the original). Any thoughts on getting more signal out of this puppy? Was hoping to hit unity at about 3/4 or so.

Back