Magnetron Delay and Gravitation Reverb

markuus

A couple of time-based PT2399 effects for my latest builds: Magnetic Flux Tape Delay (Magnetron / Keeley Magnetic Echo) and Blue Sky Reverb (Gravitation / EQD Levitation Reverb).

Super happy with how both of these came out in terms of sound and the graphics/enclosures/knobs. Pretty smooth build for both of these, though the Magnetron didn't work first try. I was getting a weird oscillation that didn't seem to react to adjusting the pots, other than it did respond to the Mix/Level control. Thankfully that appears to have been a faulty PT2399 and I happened to have another on hand. Once I swapped that out it works perfectly.

I find the Magnetron sounds pretty similar to my MXR Carbon Copy, but with a much wider range of modulation sounds. The Magnetron can get pretty wacky and warbly. It's nice having the modulation depth and speed on the front, vs. the internal pots in the CC. I adjusted the internal gain trim pot most of the way up on the Magnetron- repeats seemed pretty muddy and quiet otherwise.

I've never really been especially interested in reverb pedals and usually just stick to the spring reverb tank on my amp, but I really, really like the Gravitation / Levitation. I kind of built this on a lark, but this might end up staying on my board.

Attachments

• IMG-5948.jpg
    IMG-5948.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-5947.jpg
    IMG-5947.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG-5946.jpg
    IMG-5946.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG-5945.jpg
    IMG-5945.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 77
I think the graphics look great! I like simple pedals that are easy to read, and have distinguishing colors, etc. It just makes them easier to use, at least for me. Nice clean work.

I was sitting on the fence between the Graviton and Spirit Box, your build pushed me towards the Gravitation and I have it on the way. Should grabbed a Magnetron while I was at it, that sounds really cool too!

@MichaelW I hope you dig it! It's got a sort of layered slapback echo sort of sound, so a kind of ambient delay/reverb.

The Magnetron is really cool as well. Definitely very dark-sounding delay and can get a little muddy but it's a vibe.

One thing I might suggest is getting soft click footswitch or even go for relay switching on this one (and the Magnetron). I am thinking of going back to both of these pedals and replacing the switch because the footswitch click gets so amplified by the reverb/delay. I've got a couple of PedalPCB relay bypass boards I've had sitting around I might try to swap in when I get around to it.

Back