How do you clean your PCBs?

MichaelW

Specifically, looking for something to dry off the IPA without leaving a lot of lint or cotton hairs.

I read through some of the old posts here, and I keep seeing Kim Wipes being mentioned, I looked it up on Amazon and there's a bunch of varieties.
(I've never even heard of a Kim Wipe, is it like a "Dude Wipe"? Those are awesome btw, don't ask my how I know....)
Which Kim wipe do I want?

Right now my process is before pots (and that means before any trim pots as well, found out the hard way) and everything else is populated I do my main cleaning.
Which consists of a small plastic Tupperware with 1/4" of 91% IPA. I dunk the board swish it around, then scrub with an antistatic brush, swish some more, brush some more and final swish.

The problem is that if it air dries it leaves spots, which bugs the heck out of me. So I use old t-shirts rags and Q-tips to clean between rows of solder joints and clean between components up top.

I’m not anal about it, so I use alcohol wipes until it’s clean then dry it with an old rag or paper towel. The paper towel will rip in most cases but they can be blown off.

I use CRC to loosen everything up, then it’s a toothbrush in IPA. Once I get everything, I usually let it air dry, then just go over it lightly with a dry paper towel, with just a little IPA on it, for lubrication…

I usually don't, but when I do I just lightly scrape the dried flux off with a small flat blade tool then hit it with the shop vac.

It flakes right off and there's no messy residue to worry about.
I'll give that a go.

I suppose that's one of the few advantages of vero. All of the soldering and flux residue etc is hidden under the board.

I’ve used CRC QD Contact cleaner for a long while with great results, other than a slight film or residue in some areas that easily wipes off once dried. Not a big deal.

Due to cost, I started looking for other options and found this 99% Alcohol for much less $$, so I gave it a shot. It works just as well as the CRC, if not a little better. Absolutely no residue once it dries. I use it the same way as I did the CRC -spray, toothbrush, spray and dry. Done. $31 for a gallon packaged in four 1-quart bottles with a spray nozzle. Highly, highly recommend for those of us that build frequently.

Isopropyl Alcohol Grade 99% Anhydrous 1 Gallon - Pack in 4 Quarts - Free Sprayer Included https://a.co/d/17dWiWf

Just be careful that you don't scratch the PCB, you just want to flake off the flux, not dig in.

I have a little jewelers flathead screwdriver that is worn down a bit so it doesn't have any sharp corners to gouge the board.

Well I said I'd give it a go so I suppose that means I actually need to make time and solder something now. This might be the kick in the ass I need.

Specifically, looking for something to dry off the IPA without leaving a lot of lint or cotton hairs.

I read through some of the old posts here, and I keep seeing Kim Wipes being mentioned, I looked it up on Amazon and there's a bunch of varieties.
(I've never even heard of a Kim Wipe, is it like a "Dude Wipe"? Those are awesome btw, don't ask my how I know....)
Which Kim wipe do I want?

Right now my process is before pots (and that means before any trim pots as well, found out the hard way) and everything else is populated I do my main cleaning.
Which consists of a small plastic Tupperware with 1/4" of 91% IPA. I dunk the board swish it around, then scrub with an antistatic brush, swish some more, brush some more and final swish.

The problem is that if it air dries it leaves spots, which bugs the heck out of me. So I use old t-shirts rags and Q-tips to clean between rows of solder joints and clean between components up top.
I've never done this, but what about drying it with compressed air instead of letting it air dry? With IPA, should be a quick process.

Oh I got weird compulsions. I have more than enough of those but thankfully cleaning my PCB isn't one of them... Yet. I still kinda feel inadequate now.
I started cleaning mine after reading one of @Chuck D. Bones posts about long terms effects of residual flux....even though I used Kester "no-clean" solder. Now I can't NOT clean it, feels like..... well.....I won't mention what I'm thinking but it involves the potty.....and running out of TP......

I've used no-clean flux when hand soldering FV-1 ICs and they end up looking terrible. It leaves behind this weird residue that crystalizes and looks like corrosion.

I ended up cleaning the no-clean flux. :ROFLMAO:
Is it the clear color liquid flux? I have a bottle of that specifically for soldering SMD's. It does look pretty yucky once it dries.

Back