Powerboost build question

comradehoser

Currently building the colorsound powerboost/powersound and there is a strange feature and no build docs. Bottom right cap shows two caps superimposed: 4u7 and 220n. Are these meant to be stacked for some reason, or is it one or the other? I'm guessing the latter since they are mediating between the 1k8 resistor immediately to the right and the 10k resistor to the left and the "out" pad, but what's the basis of the choice? Less crazy volume?

@Robert can correct me if wrong:

There were multiple versions of the original pedal. Check out this post:

Your board allows you to fit either the 4u7 or the 220n cap in that spot.

Alright cool, and thank you. I'd still be curious about the difference between the two choices, but i guess i will socket them to find out and report back.

Powersound-Boost.png

Looking at the traces on the PCB, you can see that the cap(s) in question is/are the output cap(s).

The 4µ7 will let more bass out of the pedal, 220n will be tighter in the bass.

If you already have a bass-heavy signal path from guitar to amp, you might favour the 220n, whereas a Tele through a tubescreamer into a nasal amp, well you might very well prefer the larger 4µ7. If you play bass you most likely will prefer the 4µ7 — definitely socket and see which you prefer and if you find yourself still on the fence, then stick both caps on an on-on SPDT switch (or DPDT on-on) and have either option at your command.

You could even go hog-wild and have a DPDT on-off-on with three caps for three settings, splitting the difference or going even bigger.

Split-the-difference:
4µ92 UP (4µ7 in paralled with the below middle cap)
220n MIDDLE (across lugs 2 and 5 of the DPDT on-off-on)
2µ42 DOWN (2µ2 plus the above middle cap paralleled)

BASS!
4µ92 UP (4µ7 in paralled with the below middle cap)
220n MIDDLE (as described above in "split-the-difference")
10µ22 DOWN (10µ cap paralled with above middle cap)

Call the switch "character" or whatever...

Whoops... forgot to hit "Post Reply"

Ooo i do like that idea quite a bit.

At the moment, quite happy with the 4u7--

--mostly because I am getting no signal from the 220n position (!).

Troubleshooting time, i guess

Back