DEMO Cepheid Chorus (Boss CE-2)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Back to the Boss pedals!

The CE-2 was the very first chorus pedal I ever owned back in the day. I've been meaning to build this for a while now, finally getting around to it.

There's a lot of folks that think the Caesar Chorus (Walrus Audio Julia) is a better chorus, and while I do love the Caesar, I think the Cepheid is just a smidge better sounding to me. It might be just nostalgia though.

This build sounds exactly how I remember my old CE-2 sounding. Glassy, yet warm, Swirly yet not distracting. It can be dialed as a tone thickener or a more obvious chorus sound. Absolutely love it. Between the CE-2 and the Small Clone, these are my favorite chorus pedals.

I used the CoolAudio V3207/3102 BBD/Clock pair although this board supports the MN3007/MN3101 if you have those.
(You just need to make sure you use the correct voltage Zener depending on which chipset pair you use and solder the correct jumper pads for them.)

It's a busy looking build but actually went extremely smooth and fast, due to the sweet layout.

Biasing this pedal was a lot easier than the Caesar from what I can recall. The "sweet spot" is not as fiddly and hard to find as on the Caesar and I had lush chorus sounds within a minute of running the trimmer through it's range.

Extra large 10uf cap in the top right corner just for @Guardians of the analog :ROFLMAO: .

I goofed buying these a while ago and I'm trying to use them up wherever space allows.

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

Recorded a short demo of the same tune from my Caesar Chorus demo. I'm loving this P90 in the neck position of my Thinline Tele.
The overdrive I kick on is the Bullrush (Providence SOV2 Stampede). This is quickly becoming my favorite low gain pedal. (Even though it's got a lot of gain).

That is a pretty gut-shot! I haven't tried running wires under the board like that - it looks real slick.

Back