Semi-sweet 3 distortion PCB

stebur64

I am building one and there are six holes for the low cut potentiometer . Do we have to put a stereo pot ? And why is that please ? Thanks .

I am building one and there are six holes for the low cut potentiometer . Do we have to put a stereo pot ? And why is that please ? Thanks .
It's a dual pot. And yes, if you want it to sound like the original. Each element is part of a dual pole filter.
If you look at the schematic, there are 2 passive filters there, one on each element. Quick glance, one CR. One RC. Kind of a BMP tonestack, but separated into individual parts.
If you don't have the ability/desire to get the dual pot, you could invert one pot and mount it in the lower holes, settle one for being a resistor/trimmer.
A 2 pot setup would actually be the most flexible across all cases. If you don't need/want to cut lows.say for bass use, only wire the LPF side.
Just take note that if you use a normal pot(s), the drill holes likely won't align.

If you wanted, you could omit R15 and that portion of the dual pot and populate R14 with a 5-10k trimmer and tune the high cut by ear.
Not true to the og circuit but doable.
That portion of the circuit is cutting high frequency before the following clipping stage. The next part, the other half of the pot, is cutting lows after clipping.
I would advise a multi turn trimmers in this instance but it's doable with a single turn. It's just going to be very touchy.

Also. Just putting this out into the ether, a MN taper pot would be more flexible, albeit more touchy here.
I'd change some resistor values though to tighten up the usable sweep.

Back