Powering Multiple PCBs in a Single Box

dvdkmlr

Hi everybody. I'm somewhat new to this stuff. Just started building pedals from PCBs this year, but I feel like I've got the hang of it, particularly with individual pedal builds. I've even built some noiseboxes using contact mics for my inputs and what have you. Anyway, the music I make is mostly synth/noise type stuff--so, I'm not usually using these pedals for guitars. I do, however, use a lot of pedals in my setup, so learning to build my own has been great (and a wayyy more cost effective way to experiment with processing)--but now I'm at the point where I want to attempt builds beyond simple PCBs. For my next project, I'm planning to build a stereo distortion pedal using some tips I found here. However, I ultimately want to build a larger box that integrates quite a few PCBs to use with my drum machine. Currently, I run my drum machine's individual outs to different effects chains that I can use to manipulate different drums individually (for example, I like to run my hats through distortion & delay, my snare through pitch shifters & distortion, etc).

I want to find a way to build all of this into a single box--basically, it would be a large box with four separate combo pedals in it (one for each of the drum busses I use). The major advantage, for me at least, would be fitting more effects in less space. (And, yes, I could probably go the modular synth route for this, but I don't have that kind of money and, to be honest, I just like building pedals.)

In terms of signal flow, switching, etc, I feel like I have a strong grasp of what I want to do and how to do it. My primary question has to do with powering the thing. From what I've read in these forums, powering a dual-PCB combo pedal is relatively simple and star-grounding/power will generally work fine. But if I've using, say, 6 to 9 PCBs (rather than just 2), I assume this will no longer work.

I considered just running multiple multiple DC jacks out of the back of the box (basically building four totally separate combo pedals and putting them in one enclosure), but that's messy and if there's a way to avoid it, I'd like to. I've also considered just hiding a pedal power supply type thing inside the box. I use a CIOKS Adam and I guess I could find a way integrate it, but that's not really ideal either. Do I have any other options? Is there a cleaner/smaller way to power numerous PCBs together without making a mess of things?

What types of circuits are you thinking about combining? The real issue will be total current draw and whether a power supply can provide sufficient current for everything.

Still thinking about what circuits I'll use yet, but my aim is to keep them relatively simple/small (largely due to space and keeping the number of knobs relatively low). But what I'm currently toying with is:

Channel 1: Cataclysm Delay
Channel 2: Overdrive (still deciding which one) -> Cataclysm Delay
Channel 3: Ocelot Octave -> Drive/Fuzz (still deciding which) -> Cataclysm Delay
Channel 4: Ocelot Octave -> Drive/Fuzz (still deciding which) -> Cataclysm Delay

(Yes, I'll have four copies of the same delay. I like using delay on my drums. A lot. lol)

It feels like too much for a single power supply, but I'm wondering if there's a way to use a more powerful supply or something like that?

I considered just running multiple multiple DC jacks out of the back of the box
That's not necessary. As @benny_profane said, the issue is the current that you are going to draw. Most guitar pedal boards will power 9-18v between 100mA-250mA per output. If your current draw is going to be higher than that, there are some power supplies that will deliver up to 350mA per output, and of course you can get power supplies that deliver 9v up to 1A (as is the case for the HX Stomp power supply). But, you can also use a current doubling cable that draws 9v from more than one port on a pedal board power supply and delivers it to one power output jack, thus allowing you to power currents higher than the 100mA-200mA that you get from a typical power supply.

@Robert may be able to give you an idea of how much current the Cataclysm Delay and Ocelot will draw. Note that in the Cataclysm, the PT2399 requires 30–40mA and each TL072 channel needs ≤2.5mA. Fuzz/OD/Distortion circuits are typically pretty low current. You can get 1700mA from the 1 SPOT wall wart adapter.

A dedicated one spot should run it no problem.
Just run one DC jack. I think there a PPCB mini board to split power internally.

Back