DEMO Nordic Metal 2.0-GCI New MT-2

This post contains an audio or video demo
Small bear be like “items: 50¢, 1in^3, 2oz; Shipping (7-10 days) $47”

giphy.webp

After the incident with the pcbguitarmania Nordic metal I had built I will not be using them again. I already had to fix the gain pot they had working in reverse. After months of use, I stepped on it and it did nothing. So I went to troubleshooting. After audio probing I got to the second opamp and the first half passed signal. The second half was DOA. The board is so packed and the layout so shitty that the whole second half of the opamp was now connected to ground. 🤦😑🤣

I did what I should have done in the first place...I ordered the God city instruments new mt-2 board. I pulled all the components I wanted from the old board and got to work. This time I used the W taper pots in the original boss pedal for the EQ section. The pcbguitarmania board also had many unnecessary components because they clearly don't know how to comprehend the boss schematic and what belongs to the flip flop bypass.

This one sounds better and completely awesome. I loved the original graphics so I redid them but this time in a more accurate OG metal zone color scheme. Also this time is some added sound clips. The first is how I would use the pedal. The second was a total joke 🤣 I said what the least metal thing I could play of the top of my head with a metal zone 🤡🤡🤡.
VrnNBW5.jpg
El3B31y.jpg

6Vg2HT0.jpeg

The mid freq,and mid knob both don't work on mine...what could be th cause.thry turn but make zero difference at all.theres 2 switches on mine as well.i didn't build it but I'm trying to fix it.i wanna get these 2 knobs working badly.thank you kindly for any knowledge you have.

I used all the values that the stock unit used. For the tone stack pots I used the W taper pots from Stompboxparts. As for the dual gang, I couldn't get a dual C50k taper so I used a dual 100k and used a 100k resistor on each gang across pins 1 and 3 to drop the resistance to 50k. Everything else is stock according to the BOM.
Does the W pots makes it less sensitive? On the original MT-2 the pots are extremely sensitive - if you have two units side by side it's almost impossible to match the same sound because of the sensitivity of the eq pots

Does the W pots makes it less sensitive? On the original MT-2 the pots are extremely sensitive - if you have two units side by side it's almost impossible to match the same sound because of the sensitivity of the eq pots
W taper pots are misunderstood by a lot of people. The first 50% of the rotation is logarithmic and the second 50% is antilog. Noon will be the center frequency and the w taper helps spread out the frequency on either end of the dial. Having linear pots would make it even more sensitive and harder to dial in. The part you're talking about with matching units side by side is simply part tolerance. There's a lot of components in the pedal and each has a tolerance, so the same sound will be in different spots on each unit.

W taper pots are misunderstood by a lot of people. The first 50% of the rotation is logarithmic and the second 50% is antilog. Noon will be the center frequency and the w taper helps spread out the frequency on either end of the dial. Having linear pots would make it even more sensitive and harder to dial in. The part you're talking about with matching units side by side is simply part tolerance. There's a lot of components in the pedal and each has a tolerance, so the same sound will be in different spots on each unit.
Yeah - I know about the part tolerances etc, but I have two MT-2's here and I can dial them to sound very close to identical, but what I meant was that it's extremely difficult to do, because it almost feels like just touching a dial makes the sound jump quite a lot. The build doc for the GCI says linear, so it sound like choosing w instead would be a good solution for me instead

Yeah - I know about the part tolerances etc, but I have two MT-2's here and I can dial them to sound very close to identical, but what I meant was that it's extremely difficult to do, because it almost feels like just touching a dial makes the sound jump quite a lot. The build doc for the GCI says linear, so it sound like choosing w instead would be a good solution for me instead
W taper pots are less common so most people just sub linear.

BTW check out this local Danish guitar hero - his signal chain is 60's strat with Dimzarzio HS4 in bridge > Metal Zone Waza > old Marshall JMP 2203:

Last edited:
Back