DEMO Nordic Metal 2.0-GCI New MT-2

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
After the incident with the pcbguitarmania Nordic metal I had built I will not be using them again. I already had to fix the gain pot they had working in reverse. After months of use, I stepped on it and it did nothing. So I went to troubleshooting. After audio probing I got to the second opamp and the first half passed signal. The second half was DOA. The board is so packed and the layout so shitty that the whole second half of the opamp was now connected to ground. 🤦😑🤣

I did what I should have done in the first place...I ordered the God city instruments new mt-2 board. I pulled all the components I wanted from the old board and got to work. This time I used the W taper pots in the original boss pedal for the EQ section. The pcbguitarmania board also had many unnecessary components because they clearly don't know how to comprehend the boss schematic and what belongs to the flip flop bypass.

This one sounds better and completely awesome. I loved the original graphics so I redid them but this time in a more accurate OG metal zone color scheme. Also this time is some added sound clips. The first is how I would use the pedal. The second was a total joke 🤣 I said what the least metal thing I could play of the top of my head with a metal zone 🤡🤡🤡.
VrnNBW5.jpg
El3B31y.jpg

6Vg2HT0.jpeg

Last edited:
Another beauty, I like the more understated character reference. If i didn't know you were a Marvel fan and hadn't seen Ragnorok, I'd be like "that's a sweet Nordic metal graphic."

GCI really has some great projects. I haven't boxed it yet but I've been messing with the CTG and it's pretty cool. Since it's essentially a bassified ds1/250 in parallel and counting the ODB-3 project, that's 3 circuits that I had no love for that I now have appreciation (lust) for.

Rad! The metal zone is an underrated gem tbh. Absolutely killer on synths and drum machines, not to mention that it's super usable on guitar (as seen in your demo!) if you know how to use it right. Gets a bad reputation since it's frequently abused so badly, but man, it's pretty fun.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Had a rough parenting night emotionally so it was cool to see you guys digging the vibe of the pedal.
Looks sharp, dude. I like how you skip the mod switches and go strait Boss.
Thanks John, and I felt the soft clipping switch was kinda pointless and only having the hard clipping switch was gonna be strange looking. Besides, it's just fine in stock form.
Rad! The metal zone is an underrated gem tbh. Absolutely killer on synths and drum machines, not to mention that it's super usable on guitar (as seen in your demo!) if you know how to use it right. Gets a bad reputation since it's frequently abused so badly, but man, it's pretty fun.
Thanks Nick. I think people just assume it's like the HM-2 and just dime everything and that's why they hate it. This needs more nuance to dial in.
Another beauty, I like the more understated character reference. If i didn't know you were a Marvel fan and hadn't seen Ragnorok, I'd be like "that's a sweet Nordic metal graphic."

GCI really has some great projects. I haven't boxed it yet but I've been messing with the CTG and it's pretty cool. Since it's essentially a bassified ds1/250 in parallel and counting the ODB-3 project, that's 3 circuits that I had no love for that I now have appreciation (lust) for.
Thanks, the graphics I go with are all over place, from hyper realistic to abstract minimalist and often my favorites are like this, super simple. And yeah, GCI has some really awesome projects!
It really gets more hate than it deserves, it’s iconic nostalgia from the 90s and It was a gateway drug for a lot of poor kids… that little bastard will always hold a special place in my heart.
Thanks man, I was gonna play some Korn but held back🤣

Demo sounds great! I honestly didn't know what a Metal Zone sounded like, but the owner of a local guitar shop in my town swears by its EQ section.

After the incident with the pcbguitarmania Nordic metal I had built I will not be using them again. I already had to fix the gain pot they had working in reverse. After months of use, I stepped on it and it did nothing. So I went to troubleshooting. After audio probing I got to the second opamp and the first half passed signal. The second half was DOA. The board is so packed and the layout so shitty that the whole second half of the opamp was now connected to ground. 🤦😑🤣

I did what I should have done in the first place...I ordered the God city instruments new mt-2 board. I pulled all the components I wanted from the old board and got to work. This time I used the W taper pots in the original boss pedal for the EQ section. The pcbguitarmania board also had many unnecessary components because they clearly don't know how to comprehend the boss schematic and what belongs to the flip flop bypass.

This one sounds better and completely awesome. I loved the original graphics so I redid them but this time in a more accurate OG metal zone color scheme. Also this time is some added sound clips. The first is how I would use the pedal. The second was a total joke 🤣 I said what the least metal thing I could play of the top of my head with a metal zone 🤡🤡🤡.
VrnNBW5.jpg
El3B31y.jpg

6Vg2HT0.jpeg

I just ordered this PCB based on this killer build. I'm going to skip to toggle mods too. The build doc calls for a C50k Dual Gang but I see you have a C100K DG. Would you recommend the 100k instead of the 50k? Also, the bom calls for B100K for the other pots minus the distortion which is A250K (and volume which is A100K). Did you put W100K pots in yours? And would you recommend that?

I just ordered this PCB based on this killer build. I'm going to skip to toggle mods too. The build doc calls for a C50k Dual Gang but I see you have a C100K DG. Would you recommend the 100k instead of the 50k? Also, the bom calls for B100K for the other pots minus the distortion which is A250K (and volume which is A100K). Did you put W100K pots in yours? And would you recommend that?
I used all the values that the stock unit used. For the tone stack pots I used the W taper pots from Stompboxparts. As for the dual gang, I couldn't get a dual C50k taper so I used a dual 100k and used a 100k resistor on each gang across pins 1 and 3 to drop the resistance to 50k. Everything else is stock according to the BOM.

Back