Trying to layout a muff on the breadboard

So I should just start over from scratch and try again.
Perhaps. It’s not bad for a first attempt. I would also take a look at some of the tutorials in the test kitchen to get a sense of schematic to breadboard. The writer is pretty good 👍. Here are some tips:

Keep things neat. They will be easier for you and us to trace for troubleshooting

Try to make the layout match the schematic in terms of flow

You can jumper across the middle channel giving you a total of 8 holes (after jumper use) to work with. This will be needed to keep a neater muff layout

You’ve also got issues on your tone stack section. It won’t work in your layout. Check out the tone control tutorial for some tips

I'd strongly suggest that instead of trying to work out the whole thing in one fell swoop, you work through the schematic stage by stage by stage and troubleshoot as you go.

The big muff is a really great choice since it's just one thing plugged into another thing plugged into another thing, so there's always an easy place to stop and make sure you haven't dropped in the wrong value resistor or you've got a dead row or a short on the breadboard.

See if you can get the input resistor to the sustain control working and move on to the first clipping stage, etc.

And don’t get frustrated. I spent 3 days debugging this mess. I had ONE resistor going to V+ that should have been going to ground. I had to walk away from it multiple times. I was about to tear the whole thing apart!
🤬
😤

View attachment 24313
I feel your pain, breadboard brother.

I'd strongly suggest that instead of trying to work out the whole thing in one fell swoop, you work through the schematic stage by stage by stage and troubleshoot as you go.

The big muff is a really great choice since it's just one thing plugged into another thing plugged into another thing, so there's always an easy place to stop and make sure you haven't dropped in the wrong value resistor or you've got a dead row or a short on the breadboard.

See if you can get the input resistor to the sustain control working and move on to the first clipping stage, etc.
This is exactly what I was forced to do with my February Muff, I wasn't getting signal out of the first stage (390k instead of 390-Ohms, I'll never live that down).

@Nightendday86
Tried to find the following last night when you first posted the thread, but I was half-asleep and have no access to my computer at the moment so didn't have my bookmarks and couldn't find it online again... You'd think it would've come up with search terms such as "Breadboard layouts effects"; add my signature and searching PPCB and Talkbass (where I knew I'd previously posted it) and it still didn't come up last night; don't know why it finally popped up on radar today and not last night, I used the same damn search criteria... Grrr.

Anyway, enough whinging from me

BREADBOARD GUITAR FX

It helps if you can speak a bit of French, but is not necessary. Unfortunately there isn't a plain-jane Muff layout, though there is Dead Astronaut's Space Patrol, which is a muff with some extra switchable features (see below). Take a look at the layouts, try to get a feel for how they're being "flowed", and it'll help you with your future layouts.

There're several categories and numerous FX in each category:

Effets

Good ol' BEAVIS has some breadboarding tips:
beavis audio research

As already mentioned by BtR, there are some fantastic breadboarding resources BtR (and others) put up in the Test Kitchen.

Here's that Space Patrol Fuzz, don't let the extra switchery confuse, and you might just find his style/way of breadboarding is not for you:

BREADBOARD%2BDeadastronaut%2BSpace%2BPatrol.png

I feel your pain, breadboard brother.

This is exactly what I was forced to do with my February Muff, I wasn't getting signal out of the first stage (390k instead of 390-Ohms, I'll never live that down).

@Nightendday86
Tried to find the following last night when you first posted the thread, but I was half-asleep and have no access to my computer at the moment so didn't have my bookmarks and couldn't find it online again... You'd think it would've come up with search terms such as "Breadboard layouts effects"; add my signature and searching PPCB and Talkbass (where I knew I'd previously posted it) and it still didn't come up last night; don't know why it finally popped up on radar today and not last night, I used the same damn search criteria... Grrr.

Anyway, enough whinging from me

BREADBOARD GUITAR FX

It helps if you can speak a bit of French, but is not necessary. Unfortunately there isn't a plain-jane Muff layout, though there is Dead Astronaut's Space Patrol, which is a muff with some extra switchable features (see below). Take a look at the layouts, try to get a feel for how they're being "flowed", and it'll help you with your future layouts.

There're several categories and numerous FX in each category:

Effets

Good ol' BEAVIS has some breadboarding tips:
beavis audio research

As already mentioned by BtR, there are some fantastic breadboarding resources BtR (and others) put up in the Test Kitchen.

Here's that Space Patrol Fuzz, don't let the extra switchery confuse, and you might just find his style/way of breadboarding is not for you:

BREADBOARD%2BDeadastronaut%2BSpace%2BPatrol.png
Thank you so much for the information! those look might different from mine... I can't wait to try them out.

I tried to be a little more neat...
maybemuff-png.24321
It looks neater, but I think you've introduced some errors in the tidying up. Each clipping stages' caps 1uF and 470pF are parallel to each other, which gives you 1.00047uF, but the schematic doesn't have those caps parallel each other.

Those 1uF are meant to be 0.1uF (100n) and should be only attached to respective bases and non-power side of the clipping diodes.
Easy solution, FIRST CLIPPING STAGE: extend the left side of the diodes two spots over to the left (keep the right side of diodes as they are) and move the "1uF" caps over two spaces — that'll connect one end of the cap to the diodes and the other to the base.

A little bit more involved shuffling things around for the second clipping stage, but I'm sure you can sort that out, maybe move the 10k onto an angle to free up space...

KR_1973_V2_No%203%20Schematic.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fig
It looks neater, but I think you've introduced some errors in the tidying up. Each clipping stages' caps 1uF and 470pF are parallel to each other, which gives you 1.00047uF, but the schematic doesn't have those caps parallel each other.

Those 1uF are meant to be 0.1uF (100n) and should be only attached to respective bases and non-power side of the clipping diodes.
Easy solution, FIRST CLIPPING STAGE: extend the left side of the diodes two spots over to the left (keep the right side of diodes as they are) and move the "1uF" caps over two spaces — that'll connect one end of the cap to the diodes and the other to the base.

A little bit more involved shuffling things around for the second clipping stage, but I'm sure you can sort that out, maybe move the 10k onto an angle to free up space...

KR_1973_V2_No%203%20Schematic.jpg
I think this should fix that?
ANOTHER.png

I breadboarded a BMP this afternoon (V6, minus the tone bypass…I’m outa switches). Anywho, it did require some troubleshooting. Turns out I forgot two resistors (most importantly, the resistor to base at Q4). Go through with a fine-tooth comb, and then don’t stop combing till it works…

This will help too

Sorry for necro post. But I was looking for hints like this so I was glad I found it. Although in the pic above some stuff seems disconnected. For instance the 2nd component from the left, 1uf, it's just connected to input resistor and then to ground via another resistor. It doesn't go into first stage.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to breadboard the muff because of the different versions. I don't have much experience with breadboards, so I wasn't sure if the whole thing would fit, but it actually fit quite nicely.

Image6942692702133365267.jpg

This is in preparation for building the Fuzz Muffin. I'm really glad I breadboarded this, because I started with the Mask Us and I don't really like it. I think if I hadn't breadboarded this I'd have soldered up my Fuzz Muffin like the Mask Us and would've been a bit disappointed :)

But who knows, maybe I won't like any of the them. I never use a fuzz, they always sound too vintage for my taste. I just wanted to do a Big Muff because it's such a classic and I never even played one before.

Back