Jack Orman's Pickup Simulator / Anti-Buffer...

Hello.
Without open a new thread I want to ask here something about this Jack Orman project.
I built a version with the updated schematic, the one with Volume and Tone control, with no issue, and my built include even the early version. This:

fuzzbucker_1-knob_schem-png.5782

I testing it, without any other pedal. But switch and pot seem do nothing: no changing in the sound.
What is the question please?

FWIW: the pot should be changing the tone. The switch is mostly for an impedance change and will be far less likely to alter the sound.

Ok, the switch (and maybe the also the pot, I guess?) changes the impedance. I still have to try it with a Fuzz Face, maybe I can hear some difference in the sound.
I assume that changes something in the sound, too. Else, what does it mean? I hope to clear it out this week. :)

To be clear, the pickup sim circuit was not really designed to "alter" the sound, rather, it was designed to lower the impedance of the incoming signal, negating the higher impedance signals output by buffer circuits.

For example: When the buffered output of one pedal feeds into a proper Fuzz Face circuit, turning down the guitar's volume pot does not clean up the fuzz in the signal. But a low impedance (or direct guitar-to-fuzz-pedal scenario), the fuzz will clean up nicely when the guitar's volume knob is turned down.

The ORIGINAL ARTICLE explains it far better than I can.

Last edited:
I tried the circuit between a Fuzz Face DIY and a buffer DIY.
First of all, it does what it has to do. And pots and switches works. Maybe the switch to half the coil of the transformer does just a little difference, just a bit darker, but that could be even this fuzz. I can't hear a lot of difference even if I fully close the guitar's tone control.
I guess everything is ok, anyway.
Thanks.

I tried the circuit between a Fuzz Face DIY and a buffer DIY.
First of all, it does what it has to do. And pots and switches works. Maybe the switch to half the coil of the transformer does just a little difference, just a bit darker, but that could be even this fuzz. I can't hear a lot of difference even if I fully close the guitar's tone control.
I guess everything is ok, anyway.
Thanks.
Yeah! These circuits shine best when placed in a pedal chain. Didn't occur to me that you may have been testing it as a stand alone pedal.

Back