Lovetone Source Cheese

ianmarks

Build Rating
3.00 star(s)
Finally got around to this one. Over at MBP years ago, Alanp made some layouts for lovetone projects (Rissole (meatball) was one of my faves This one was a clone of the lovetone cheese source. While the cheese lived up to its rep, there was something not quite right about the brown source. Turns out the schematic was definitely off when this PCB was made. I pretty much made it to Aion specs without the buffer on the front end and then modded the gain pot to 100k. I imagined this would be more of an amp in a box, but I think it is intended to be the boost that typically overdrive the front end of legendary high wattage heads. Modding the gain pot gives you a bit more versatility but alsonopens the door for motorboating. I'd try a 50k but don't want to take it back apart. The big cheese is pretty cool once you figure out that the fun is finding the the sweet spot in the gain control to get the blown out fuzz sound. Running the source before it can make it even nastier. I definitely will be exploring running the source before a variety of different things and the fuzz is novel and a bit different enough to warrant the build, but I don't think I'd be looking to build a better built one anytime soon.

The originals look like an orange and blueish color, but brown and orange just seemed right. The board isn't exactly symmetrical and I couldn't use washers on the stomps without obstructing the fonts. I probably noxed it 3 or 4 times before saying that's it. Somewhere around the second time I lost interest in keeping it looking "clean." The whole art has come a long way from perf board!

Attachments

• 20240330_174639.jpg
    20240330_174639.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240330_174629.jpg
    20240330_174629.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 32
Orange & Brown definitely give it more of a '70s flare.

Unfortunately, also gives me the Cleveland Browns vibe. They've had my Bengals # for the last several games.

Lovely build. I want some extra toasty cheezits now.
Grab some of these
M12x16x .05mm
I call them invisible washers. But they'll save the artwork.

Thanks! Yeah, I need to grab some ones that are the size of the lock washer that come with them. I have some from (b)LMS that I usually go with (yes, I am an anti whitw washer guy,) but they are wider.

Back